• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

no page file, constant startup errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imaboutaquit

hello, the other day I was experimenting with an overclock and it apparently went sour. The machine locked up about 3/4 the way through 3dmark 2003. I had to hit reset to get it to boot. Upon bootup, As i tried to get past my user logon screen(xp home), it just hangs. If i do ctl/alt/del, it will let me into my desktop with an error mesage stating Windows encountered an error setting up a page file and one was created for me. I have tried setting it manually, tried letting windows manage it and also tried eliminating it, none of which worked. Once I get to my desktop thru these errors, Pc works fine. Any ideas on how to get my page file back?!!!!!

imaboutaquit said:
hello, the other day I was experimenting with an overclock and it apparently went sour. The machine locked up about 3/4 the way through 3dmark 2003. I had to hit reset to get it to boot. Upon bootup, As i tried to get past my user logon screen(xp home), it just hangs. If i do ctl/alt/del, it will let me into my desktop with an error mesage stating Windows encountered an error setting up a page file and one was created for me. I have tried setting it manually, tried letting windows manage it and also tried eliminating it, none of which worked. Once I get to my desktop thru these errors, Pc works fine. Any ideas on how to get my page file back?!!!!!

Did you down your overclock? If not, do so. Also, its very possible that your installation of windows has been corrupted through overclocking. Unfortunately, you may just have to reformat and reinstall. Try lowering your overclock back to stock first though, just to be sure. Also, if you have to reinstall, make sure everything is back at stock speed. Good luck!

Matt

thanks for the reply, i was feeling pretty lonely!!! Yes i tried to lower the clock and didnt help. I kinda thought that a format was in order but was hoping for a quick fix around it. Sucks because i just formatted like a week ago and finally got everything back on and runn ing. My wife is gonna be pretty ****ed, need to think of a good lie. !!!!!!

Back