• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AthlonXP's Finally Obselete On High End

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Master

You know the XP CPU genre is over when the AMDzone stops using them in benchmark tests. According to Chris, the XP's are just to slow to keep up with the big boys.

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?...ons&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=4&page=2

In the FX-53 reviews, no XPs can be found. With this is mind, I think now is a good time for AMD to start lowering the prices on the 64 line. Socket 939 and non registered memory should make these things dirt cheap in the next three or four weeks down the road.

Anyone else agree its time to start lowering those prices?

OC-Master

Just FYI an XP @ 2.5GHz with a 200+MHz FSB can keep up with the FX-53 in a bunch of things, ofcourse its not as fast but in some areas it comes very close, and its a fraction of the price.
You're right on the statement that its time to lower prices and get more than just the FX-53 for S939 out the door, but the XP line when OCed are still very capable chips, and not yet worth the money it costs to upgrade...

I dunno. My M-Barton 2500+ @ 2500 Mhz seems plenty fast to me. I'm not exactly on the bleeding edge, but I'm certainly on the scabby edge ;)

Oni said:
I dunno. My M-Barton 2500+ @ 2500 Mhz seems plenty fast to me. I'm not exactly on the bleeding edge, but I'm certainly on the scabby edge ;)

Niceness!

May I ask what kind of FSB are you producing with a pretty sweet sounding setup like this?

My client's Abit AN7 does 505MHz FSB after the volt mod (450FSB before) but too bad his chip is locked :( I shoved my Athlon 1000 in there LOL and we were running (6 X 250) 1500MHz with 500MHz FSB.

I wanna see some benches of a AthlonXP with 500FSB with speeds around the 2.4GHz range and see how it compares to the FX53 chips at stock.

Anyhow, good work on that overclock.

OC-Master

Oni said:
lol ive got the same setup

towndog said:
Here is a link I think you'll find interesting http://bit-tech.net/review/309/5

WOW is all I can say. That Barton @ 2500Mhz kicks major butt! For comparison sake my sig rig runs 17700 in 3DMark2001 SE....so I feel good after reading that review ;)

Not that it kept me from ordering a mobile 2400 anyway!! Im hoping to blow past 20k 3DMarks on air.....:cool:

Back