• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel kit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

I was wondering when I saw that OCZ sold these dual channel kits. What is the purpose of getting one of those? Is it just that you get a better deal on it or do they actually work better? Im not sure, but cant you just buy 2 sticks of ram and it will work in dual channel? It does not have to be a kit right?

Thanks
-0cer

well technically ur right, just buying 2 sticks of the same speed should work. however since the bh5/6 is getting rare, u might have some probs if 1 stick is bh5\6 and the other is ch5. alot of the guys feel thats its a marketing ploy just to get more money, and it is a well resoned arguement. i myself try to buy matched pairs for a different reason. Last fall when komusa was offering their fastest adata hyperram(pc4000), i bought the dual channel kit, i think for 5-10 bucks more. when i got the sticks i tested both individually and 1 ran to 290 at 2.78volts! (wow) the other was a dud 258. i contacted them and they agreed to take back the dud and speed bin another to try and match my first one for a nominal fee.evn tho both met specs. they told me if i had bought the sticks individually they would not have honored my request. to me its like a little extra insurance, proving to them that i went the extra mile and it give the reseller an extra reason to make u happy. lastly, in my opinion performance price and support are the 3 main factors in buying ram. ocz especially the platinum and hand binned stuff is very fast, their service is 2nd to none. but u pay a pretty penny for it

flapperhead said:
well technically ur right, just buying 2 sticks of the same speed should work. however since the bh5/6 is getting rare, u might have some probs if 1 stick is bh5\6 and the other is ch5. alot of the guys feel thats its a marketing ploy just to get more money, and it is a well resoned arguement. i myself try to buy matched pairs for a different reason. Last fall when komusa was offering their fastest adata hyperram(pc4000), i bought the dual channel kit, i think for 5-10 bucks more. when i got the sticks i tested both individually and 1 ran to 290 at 2.78volts! (wow) the other was a dud 258. i contacted them and they agreed to take back the dud and speed bin another to try and match my first one for a nominal fee.evn tho both met specs. they told me if i had bought the sticks individually they would not have honored my request. to me its like a little extra insurance, proving to them that i went the extra mile and it give the reseller an extra reason to make u happy. lastly, in my opinion performance price and support are the 3 main factors in buying ram. ocz especially the platinum and hand binned stuff is very fast, their service is 2nd to none. but u pay a pretty penny for it

Ah I see! Thanks. Excellent reply!

BTW, I am quite a RAM n00b, so I was wondering, what is bh5 bh6 or ch5?

Another reason to buy the kit is that the sticks are actually tested together in a dual channel configuration to make sure they run correctly and well together. With a dual channel kit, you have a better chance of them performing more in-synch with each other.

Back