• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!?!? Inspiron 4000 XP problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkj

Guys Im working on my friends laptop. He bougt xp pro and wanted me to install in for him. I did and everythings fine except his modem will not dial up. It is a wierd problem too. Ive tried like 5 sets of drivers currently the agere 8.3 and same thing everytime. The modem will pick up on the line wait for dialtone then dial. Heres the problem the dialtone never goes away. Its like my phone line can't hear the modem!?!?! The was a clean install not an upgrade. If anybody has any help I would appreciate it. Im confused. It worked fine on windows me before. I can even hook up my external USR and everything works fine. Anybody?

jkj said:
Guys Im working on my friends laptop. He bougt xp pro and wanted me to install in for him. I did and everythings fine except his modem will not dial up. It is a wierd problem too. Ive tried like 5 sets of drivers currently the agere 8.3 and same thing everytime. The modem will pick up on the line wait for dialtone then dial. Heres the problem the dialtone never goes away. Its like my phone line can't hear the modem!?!?! The was a clean install not an upgrade. If anybody has any help I would appreciate it. Im confused. It worked fine on windows me before. I can even hook up my external USR and everything works fine. Anybody?

Hrmmm...it has to be the drivers. Did you try 5 different sets of windows me drivers? Try locating new xp drivers. If thats not the case, check out the manufacturer's website and make absolutely sure that the modem will work with windows xp. What make/model is the laptop? I will try and locate some new drivers or more info on it.

Matt

Its a Dell Inspiron 4000 series. The drivers I tried were xp drivers.
Thanks for the help

jkj said:
Its a Dell Inspiron 4000 series. The drivers I tried were xp drivers.
Thanks for the help

No problem. That is kind of strange, ummm...I was working on a friend's computer a while back and I beleive there was some type of diagnostic test within windows. I don't have a 56k modem, so I don't really remember how, but look for the test. I am thinking that its called status or diagnostic test. Poke around and let me know what you find.

Matt

Back