• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I take out my Rambus and install DDR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Hi,
I have a DELL 8250 wih 512 Mb Rambus installed. It costs so frikking expensive I can't afford to upgrade it.

I want to install some nice PC 2700 DDR Memory. Do I need a different motherboard to do this or can I just swap this stuff out?

TommyHolly,
Rambus & DDR are totally different kinds of memory. To run DDR in your Dell you'd have to get a different motherboard in addition to the DDR mem. I looked at the specs of your comp, & according to those, you have 512MB of PC1066 RDRAM which is actually not too bad. I'm running a P4 1.6A Northwood at 2.24GHz on an Abit TH7II-R mobo with 512Mb of PC800. I get SiSoft Sandra Mem benchmarks near 3600 with this setup, which IMHO, ain't bad at all. I woud suggest your best way to upgrade the beast is to maybe get a better video card and/or larger hard drive. You'll probably want check this thread about overclocking the beast.
Good Luck!
-Dave

That's what I figured. Nah, the PC works pretty good, it just has a slight problem sometimes on some games but nothing too serious.

I'll just wait about another year or 2 and get a Pentium 5, 6.0 Ghz EE or something better.

Back