• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unstable only when idle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PiSan314159

Ok, the subject is a little misgiving since I'm always folding at 100% load. However as long as I'm typing or moving the mouse I have no trouble. After a brief moment of no input from me, the computer completely freezes. I am wondering if Windows is trying to do an automatic application after a while of idleness. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be or how to get more information would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure that the computer isn't trying to do something with Advanced Power Management? This option, which is in the Windows control panel and also in the BIOS, allows for such fun things as turning off the monitor, turning off the hard drives, or suspending the computer after a bit of time. I don't know if your cruncher would like saving a work unit to the hard drive when the hard drive is turned off...

At the very least, it is a place to start looking for a problem...

go into CTRL+delete and go to procces(it is in task manager) and find "system idle process" it should be around 90-100 i had the same problem and a reboot and sp1a fixed it all up hope that helps

Back