• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Probably A Stupid Question But...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fac_29

I have a stick of Kingston 512Mb PC3200 and a stick of Kingston PC2700 in my system, obviosly that clocks my PC3200 down to PC2700 speeds. Is there anyway i could get my PC2700 to run at PC3200? I'm thinking not but just thought i'd ask :D

Also. What would be better, havin 768MB of Ram runnin at PC2700 or 512MB of Ram runnin at PC3200?

You PC2700 stick may be capable of 3200 speed but it really depends. The only way to find out is to try. Run the stick of PC2700 by itself and gradually increase the FSB until you find it's limit (or you reach 200MHz). Add the second stick and if you're running dual channel, make sure it's stable as DCDDR tends to load the bus heavier. As far as the amount of RAM to use, I'd say it depends on how you use your system. If you use applications that require large amounts of memory or love to game and want your levels to load a bit faster, run the full 768MB. If you don't fit into that category, stick with 512MB and upgrade to a full gig when/if you need to.

~THT

Thanks, i will try that. Yeah i do game a lot so i guess the 768MB is better for me.

My Motherboard Manual says it only accepts up to PC2700, which i found a bit strange with it bein a new board, but i've read recently that thats not true and thats just what it "offically" accepts but will take higher. How does that work?

The board only officially supports PC2700 which might imply it only has a 1/5 divisor (what chipset does your board use?). If you have the option, try raising the FSB beyond 166MHz...it should be able to do up to and beyond 200MHz if it's largest divisor is 1/5.

~THT

Back