• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need new ram advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hemidude

I just got a new abit-nf7, and will use my barton 2800. I want at least i gig but cant decide on wether to go with dual channel ram or not. Also i have been looking at either giel or ocz. Obviously if i dont go with dual channel i can afford better ram. Also should i go with pc2700(333) or something else? Thanks.

try geil... i mean i had it running fine :) and definitely get dual chan ram :)

Thanks, I think I might go with a 1 gig mushkin pc3200 set I found on newegg. Can I run dual channel as normal ram?
Flapper, I dont have my HEMI anymore, but i have a 625 h.p. 505c.i. stroked and poked 440 in my 70' CUDA that i drive every day. thanks.

What do you by running dual channel as normal ram? Another option would be to get one stick of good RAM now and get another one later. I have aslo heard that running dual channel doesn't make that much difference on AMD systems. The way Iook at is if you are not using programs that need a crazey amount of RAM to where it you need 3 sticks of 512 because 2 1 Gig sticks are too expensive, why not. I chose 2x256 over a single 512. Two reasons.
1. I dont see me needing more than 512MB with this system.
2. I wanted good set to overclock with.

I would definatley go with atleast 3200 in what ever you choose.

I thought dual channel ram could be run in two modes? Depending on your board and stick configuration. I decided on 2 512 sticks of corsair XMS PC3200, and a new NF7-S. Thanks for the advice.

corsair is good but expensive... with geil, u can get $180 for a 1gb dual chan pc3200 and $200 for a 1gb dual pc3500 :)

what do you mean with Dual CHannel ram? you make it sound as if its a whole different type of ram..

If you mean the TwinX (corsair) or matched pairs RAM, then ill tell you :)
The matched pairs only tell you that both stick perform good at its rated speed

geil, corsair, kingston, OCZ, they all make decent RAM :) (as far as i know anyway)

Back