• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Password Protecting shared folders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neeseius

I share files over my Network, all computer connected to a router. I have certain folders that I dont want to give everyone on the network access to, just one or two. So how do I password protect that particular folder?

You'll have to assign the users you want to allow access to to a group. Click Start>Settings>Control Panel, then Administrative Tools. In Computer Management navigate to System Tools>Local Users and Groups>Users. In the details pane right-click the user then select Properties. Select the Member of tab and click Add. Select the group you want to add the user account to, click Add and then OK.
In Computer Management, select System Tools>Shared Folders>Shares, then click Action>New File Share. From the wizard select eh files you want to share and set the permissions. You can do this by right-clicking the folder whose permissions you want to share, and then selecting Properties.
Think I covered everything.

Back