• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spyware on my system -- but can't find it!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoshGordon

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Did my best to put it in the right one.

So I get home from work today and go on the internet. I go to my google link to search for something, and I get redirected to a site with the title "Best Web Search." I tried typing in www.google.com and it sends me to the same place. If I mistype an address, it again sends me to this "Best Web Search" page. However, the address is now http://www.mostsexygirls.com/search/
You guys can probably take a pretty accurate guess as to how this got onto my computer.

Anyway, I've had junk like this happen before, but I managed to go through my files and find the folder it was stored in and get rid of it. I tried searching my hard drive, but to no avail. I'm running WinXP with sp1a and IE. Any help is appreciated!

Edit -- downloaded adaware, but it didn't find anything.

Last edited:
Just run Spybot and that will get rid of it along with many others that are most likely in there ;)
P.S. Make sure you run the update before you scan your system.

Have you tried spybot s&d? It's a free spyware killer that I've heard a lot of good things about. I've never run into your problem but just running it after a few days of basic web searching can still bring up plenty of stuff that it needs to kill. Honestly I'd be kinda worried about what else is on your computer if it gets bad enough that you start getting redirected to other sites.

BTW I'm in Denver :)

Hey, thanks a lot fellas. Spybot got rid of that stuff ASAP. The scary thing is, my system is only about a month old. Everything is brand new.

I'll be sure to stick around. I like the total absence of flaming and the overall very friendly atmosphere you guys have developed here. Thanks again!:D

Edit -- Sup artyboy. I'm moving to Denver in July-August now that I'm done with school. I'm likin' this weather we're havin. Grilled up burgers and brauts in the backyard today.:cool:

Last edited:
I had the exact thing last week. It was very effective at coming back after it was cleaned. Adaware didn't have a fix for it till last friday. Not sure how it was installed, but I'm pretty sure which site gave it to me. It really slowed down IE.

There is ONE that i found that is just odd. I installed something once that setup this TGT soft crap on my machine. It would attack Zone Alarm and such. SP couldnt go it, Adaware couldnt either. I found this thing called BaZooka Spyware remover. It found mainly these top hard to remove spyware objects. Adaware and SP wouldnt find them, but this one did. Downside is, it ONLY found the hard ones. The simple onees it overlooked. Once it foun something, it sent you to a cite on how to remove it. Most of the time it was pretty tough and manual, involved going through the registry and patching .dll's. But that got the tough stuff. Even detects media player as a threat.

Back