• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BH-5 chips discontinued on Black Level II.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoonWolf

Fold For 32!
First off, I noticed Newegg had the new "222 special" chips for sale. I was confused at first till I looked at this on mushkin's web site:

Q: What is the difference between this new 222 build and the PC3200 222 - Black Hi Perf Level II?
A: The Black High Performance level II used the Winbond BH5 chips, which are no longer in production. This new 222 special build uses Winbond BH6. They perform just as well as the BH5 at 3200 speed, but may not be as overclockable in your system.

How well do you think those "222 special" sticks will do when combined with Level II Black? I have one stick of 256 3200 Level II, but newegg stopped carrying them, and I cannot find it anywhere else. I guess that is what happens when you try to buy ram on the installment plan. I guess I'm stuck with a Mushkin/Corsair combo (not a whole lot of fun) until I either find another stick of Mushkin 3200 with BH-5 or replace my ram altogether with Corsair.

Does anyone know where I may still be able to find 256 mb of Mushkin 3200 Level II Black retail or otherwise, I posted an ad in the wanted section of the classifieds.

I was wondering myself - I figured they must have switched to BH6 when they quit calling it "level II" I'm looking for something that will do 230ish at cas2, and hopefully upwards of 245 at cas 2.5. I doubt the BH6 chips will do that without some serious voltage.

I think vibe computers may have some of those 256MB sticks left although they're charging an assload for them (which probably explains why they're still available)

Top Hat Theater With 3V, mine did 240MHz 2-2-2-11. With 3.3v, they can do 255MHz 2-2-2-11

Hmmm.....Well that really sucks I guess. Maybe I should try 11-2-2-2 instead of 5-2-2-2. But I can only hit 230 with mine. Anything after that programs start crashing.

Attachments

• cpu copy.jpg
    cpu copy.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 521
Well that sucks, what else can I say? Are there BH-5 chips on other types of memory? I heard Kingston had them on HyperX.

Are there any other types of memory that are comparable to BH-5 in performance?

so is the special 222 good for oc?

The special 222 are good OCer's you just need VOLTS!

I mean 230 is not to bad with 5-2-2-2 timings!! Some Bh-5 can't even do that. At the same rate, some Bh-6 can't pull that either.

I'd say chances are better if you can apply about 3.3v. I may be able to get more out of them if I loosen up the timings, but I don't want to sacrifice my timings if I can't get a high gain in fsb.

so im also wondering is 512*2 mushkin special 222 can do that good oc and timing as well?
or only 256*2 can do
is oc also effected by the volume of the ram?

I don't have the "222 special" but I do have BH6 OCZ Limited Edition 3200 and I give them 2.75 volts 2-2-2-5 timming 5:4.

The highest I've gotten into windows is 254, somewhere close to 260 it didn't post.

Yeh i just got some Mushkin 222 special (2*512) and i want to be able to get it to 220mhz@222 how many volts do you think will be needed, as i don't really want to have to put more than 2.75 in them, but i can go up to 2.85.

Back