• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ , From bad to good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Syndicate

I have been out of the loop for a while ( check the post in the cooling forum ) And just got back , I remember ocz ram being completely horrible and everyone saying its just some gimick piece of garbage , I would like honest opinions on what people think of this from either having it or reading reviews on it .. Have they really gotten better? different chips? .. I always think once crap always crap :)

They did a full 180. Back then I wouldn't have touched their ram, but back a year ago+ I got some of the pc3500EL and it did 250Mhz 2-2-2-5 and I've been hooked ever since. I now own 4 sets of ram and have another on the way :D

Also they have the best support team I've ever seen from any company. I know a lot of the guys pretty well and I know that they know their stuff and are willing to help in anyway they can.

Steve

Syndicate, I've been reading the reviews, and have pretty well settled on getting the OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual Channel Gold Revision 2 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3700. The testing over at Anandtech shows that this memory is tops at low Cas latency at DDR 400. Their 4000 and 4200 series smokes at high buss speeds, but the timings are a lot slower. I am building a workhorse with at least a Gig. of ram, so I am not going for the Holy Grail. I did that in the 440BX days hitting 150MHz and beyond. It seems slow today, but in the day it was quite somthing. I have read posts of trouble with this memory, but havent seen a really excellent power supply in any of the system specs, so I take that with a grain of salt. I am still hanging out to see what Kingmax does with their tiny BGA, but it isn't really available over here yet. Good to see you back, and hope you were not put off too much by some of the rubber a--holes over on the other forum. For the life of me I can't figure that attitude out.

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks for your help guys, I was just kind of confused about the product considering back in the day , ( well not like 086 digdug lsl 1 days ) but a while ago this ram had seemed pretty horrible , I been sticking to corsair xms recently but still think the price is pretty high on these chips and the performance is "fair" in my opinion compared to the mushie sticks i use to have.

are the chips on the ocz marked ? micron tech mt stamp, samsung, or anything? curious who makes the chips for them

( And yes some of the people in cooling are smacktards , But i suppose it was bound to happen when oc'ing was no longer a art but something for the masses , they would flood here heh )

Brian.

I believe the revision 2 are speed binned chips from ProMos, a division of Mosel. The the original 3700's were lazer cut Samsung chips.

Back