• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going back to Windows 2000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyguy076

Registered
Dumb question. How do I get xp off my computer and windows 2000 back on it? I cant get the computer to boot off of the 2000 cd or floppy. How do I get to the dos prompt to reformat in xp?

the computer should boot off of the cd or floppy no matter what OS is currently installed.

Dumb question but are you sure that the cd and floppy are set to boot ahead of the hd in the bios?

www.bootdisk.com

download a DOS boot disk and then pop it into your computer,

format C:

then plop in your Working Win2K disk, make sure it works, try and explore it in the Windows enviroment before formating.

I had to do this to go from windows ME to windows 98 on a machine since during the boot process of WIndows 98 it would tell me I was not allowed to downgrade, in much more words then that.

Glad you got it fixed, since you are starting out with a clean system, why not make the ulimate switch and install a linux distro.

Linux distro? Is it alot better than win 2000? Never used any other os than windows.

Whatever, not even worth responding, I've removed the flame. Please remember to treat other members with respect. You need not agree with them, but personal attacks will not be tolerated. -nihili

That sounds like hostility.

Are you saying that I'm dumb 'cause I live in Canada? If so, please just come out and say it, rather than beat around the bush, so to speak.

It'll make it easier to moderate the post that way.

No, you are the one becoming hostile. And I never called you dumb, you are trying to put words in my mouth. I just dislike the cold and snow as much as you dislike open source operating systems.

Making comments like "So is the gum stuck under chairs" is totally appropriate because you are a Moderator? Please share with everyone how an Operating system such as Unix resembles gum stuck under chairs. You are saying that open source operating systems are garbage, at least that is what I thought gum stuck under chairs is. Do you use a Unix operating system? Most people that try it find it a wonderful experience.

I joined these forums to learn and to share my ideas and experiences, and hopefully help others. I thought that was the real reason these forums exist. Many people in these forums appear to look for things they can do to their systems that costs little or no money. What? A free operating system? What a great idea. What, I don't have to share my entire hardware configuration with a company that has no business having that information unless I choose to give it. Maybe this person might even load a Unix operating system and like it, and learn to do something that they cannot do in a non open source OS. And its common knowledge that people who use Unix take jabs at Gates.

I also started Folding because of these forums and added 15 processors to Team 32. I do this because I hope that my efforts and those of many others will lead to some cure for one or hopefully many of the diseases floating around this planet.

So you can threaten me by saying "It'll make it easier to moderate the post that way", I contribute to these forums like everyone else, with my time, and experiences. I guess I'll just stay in the Folding forum with a lot of stuck gum.

I have absolutely no problem w/ open source operating systems. I never said that they were bad.

I have a problem w/ people who push them like they're the be-all-and-end-all of the computing world. You wanna run Linux. That's cool. But suggesting it to a guy who can barely format his own hard drive (no offence, kyguy076) is a bit ludacris, don't you think?

I've tried several *nix oses. Among the ones I have tried were Knoppix, Red Hat, Mandrake, and Debian. While functional, I didn't really care for them all that much, so it wasn't a 'wonderful experience'. I'm sure if I had to use them day-in-day-out, I could get used to them (about the best one I used was Knoppix. Debian was alright, too. Red Hat and Mandrake were like the WinXP of the Linux world, imo). Driver support was almost non-existant for some of my devices, namely my video card (although there have been newer *nix drivers released since I last tried Linux), so it was a fight, to say the least.

I think I'll stick w/ the ease of use, tyvm.

I'm quite sure Bill doesn't lay awake at night, wondering how he can crush the Linux community. I'm also quite sure that he doesn't lay awake at night, thinking about how he can hide Linux from the masses. Anybody who wants to know can to a quick search at Google, and come up w/ a plethora of sites dedicated to Linux. If he's trying to squash Linux, he's doing a poor job of it.

I'm glad you've started folding due to these forums. I really am. Have you tried Overclockix? It's a Debian-based bootable distro, similar to Knoppix, that runs folding. It's designed by a fellow Senior member here. Do a search in the Folding forum, I'm sure you can find some data.

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding on both our parts over this. Maybe you took my comment a bit out of context. Perhaps I took your retort out of context, too.

Call a truce?

Not necessairily. I think the best thing to do would be to partition your drive, and format one partition FAT32, and leave the other one for Linux. Install your Windows, then install your Linux on the empty partition, and let the GRUB handle booting :)

When you install windows, XP, 2000, 98, etc. you can use whatever format you like, but, Linux will read/write on fat, fat32, you can create a custom kernel to read NTFS filesystems, that can be a little bit of a pain.

You have a lot of options when you do an install, but if you leave space on your hard drive, and during the linux install you create a partition using fat32, windows will see it next time you boot. That way you can share files between both OS's.

It is also helpful if you use the same login name for windows and linux, makes it easier on the permissions in linux.

If you run into a snag feel free to post again, or pm me, i'll give you all the assistance I can.

Back