• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2 Special DDR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KRich

Hi everyone,

I've bought and today received 1GB of Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2 Special DDR for use in an ABIT IC7-G Board with a Intel P4 3.0C Northwood CPU.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience as to whether this memory plays well with the GAT feature on the ABIT board or not please?

I'm running them at 244 FSB with a 5:4 Divider at the moment and tried up to the max 2.8 Volts for the DIMMS that the board offers with 2-2-2 timings but the GAT options like Turbo, Street Racer and so on don't seem to work - If I select any of them, on reboot the system just hangs after the initial POST Screen.

Any advice or experiences anyone else has had would be great.

Cheers.

Last edited:
is it running at 244mhz or is FSB @ 244, and are u using the 5:4 on the RAM?

if its underclocked i wouldnt have a clue as to why its not working..

i read some things about the GAT, to set it at:

auto, auto, auto, disable,disable

dont know if thatll work though

Cheers Jognt for the comments, I appreciate it.

I missed out the FSB in my original post so i've edited it - I am running the CPU at 244 FSB using a 5:4 divider on the memory so it is running under spec.

I am not sure if it could be that GAT and Dividers don't play well together so I might try to run the CPU at a slower FSB just to test out the 1:1 ratio and see if GAT works then.

Everything works perfectly when all GAT settings are set to Auto - It is just if I try anything except Auto, it doesn't work.

Cheers for the feedback

When using a divider (5/4 or 3/2) you can't set performance to turbo or f1 or street racer . This is how the divider works.

All the other settings are available for you.
Try this ...

Auto
Enhanced or Strengthen
Enable
Enable

Good luck !

steliosDj - Cheers for that information, pleased to hear why none of the GAT settings such as Turbo, Street Racer and so on don't work is because i'm using a divider and not running the memory at 1:1 - Cheers for that and I will try the values and settings you recommended and take thing from there.

eMpAtHy112 - I'm not too sure as i've not had enough time to play around properly with these DIMMs, but there are quite a few posts here with other peoples experiences. Generally, I think they do quite well but need a great deal of voltage to run with the tightest timings at higher frequencies - Again, not too sure so check around for other posts.

Cheers again for all the help guys.

steliosDj - Cheers again, those settings work like a dream :)

Glad to hear that !! Also try them with 1:1 and stress them with memtest/3dmark . They will gain a few Mhz for sure.

I have ordered a 1GB kit two days ago and i hope they overclock well ... My PSU is modded so i'll feed them with 3.5Volts :D
Goal is 260Ìhz 1:1 !

u would do well to voltmd ur baord. the bh6 really runs with hi voltage. my kingston bh6 runs about 210-215 at 2.8-9 volts. but at 230+ at 3.1. some guys are getting 240-250 with very hi vdimm ie 3.3-3.5

nah, as long as you have decent airflow I have never heard of ram overheating. Usually it will die from voltage before it gets enough volts to overheat.

steliosDj - Cheers again and thanks for the further tips - will definitely try them out when I have bought a new HSF for the CPU as the current one which I bought for shall I say the first generation Intel Northwoods is not doing so well on my Northwood C and I need a better HSF to get any further.

The IC7-G only offers 2.8V for the DIMM voltage and so I am pretty much limited for 1:1 - currently using the 5:4 so all is hunky dory so far :)

As far as volt modding goes, I really wish it was something I could do but I wouldn't even dare lol - guess somethings are just best left well alone :D

I reckon they would do really well at 1:1 with some high voltages only if the board offered them.

From the 1:1 testing i've tried, I seem to be able to get them to between 210 and 220 FSB with tight timings and then a bit further nearer 225 or a bit more with much more relaxed timings but things aren't too stable due to the lack of volts - but never the less, i'm not disappointed and am happily using the 5:4 with tight timings.

Pleased to hear that you've bought a kit for yourself steliosDj - I wish you all the best with that and i'm sure you'll get some ace results with all those volts :) flapperhead certainly reports that it is very possible with higher volts so i'm sure you are going to do well - please check back in here and let me know how you get on.

One question guys - have you heard anything about Mushkin working better at 2-2-2-6 instead of 2-2-2-5? Just wondered what your thoughts are?

Cheers again for all the help guys, you rock :D

KRich thanks for your wishes and good words !!!

215Mhz with 2.8V and tight timings seems good .... but with burn in , you will be able to gain something .

Concerning the timings .... 2-2-2-5 is better than 2-2-2-6 . Only AMD systems with Nforce2 chipset are a bit strange and they perform better if you set something like 2-2-2-11 .
For your P4 stay with 2-2-2-5

steliosDj - My pleasure and thanks for the further information and tips - I will definitely try some more 1:1 clocking when I can and will stick to the 2-2-2-5 timings for this P4 based system - Please keep in touch here as to how you get along with the 2-2-2 Special from Mushkin, would be great to hear :)

flapperhead - That rocks, well done :D Out of interest, what are you SiSoft SANDRA Memory Benches please? Would be cool to compare 240 FSB running the memory at 2-2-2-5 on the 5:4 divider and the setup you have of 240 FSB running the memory at 1:1 and at 2-2-2-5 again

Cheers :D

steliosDj said:
flapperhead , with what voltage ????

3.1 volts. didnt test for stability tho, just finished doing hipro5's
5 in 1 mod for the abit ic7. so as soon as i get everything back together ill get u some benchies..

I have the same results as flapperhead, I have 240 1:1 at 2,2,2,5. For 250 I have to drop to 2,3,3,6, both are at 3.2 volts.

I will upload a screen showing the mem bandwidth at 1:1 (245)and 5:4(295) when I get home, but if memory serves it was 5700+ and 6350+ respectively

Back