• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Europe Windows Xp Will Rule

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

germanjulian

well if you read this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3563697.stm

it says M$ has to make a Windows version available in Europe which does not included Windows Media Player and movie maker (and maybe messenger adn IE??) BUT it has to be the same speed etc and should otherwise be no different then the "NORMAL" windows xp version...

YEAH!!!!

That means that M$ has to make a working Windows which will be exactly the same without all the bullpoo which will be more stable and have less clutter and they wont have so much control of your PC. like force updates on windows media player and they cant see what music your playing etc.

Thank god the EU Commison unlike the US Commision isnt so currupt.

who the heck..

who the heck do they think they are? I mean, sure Microsoft should have done what they are telling them to do along time ago.....but a fine? That just makes me.... :mad: ....Boohoo if the other comanies can't compete....Microsoft is big because of its marketing strategies, the other companies should just adjust accordingly..... I'm not a big fan of Microsoft, so don't go all "Microsoft Lover!" on me....

:argue: < thats all thats going to come of it....

ROFL .. people ***** because they are getting free players n stuff and want MS to take 'em out. What's to compete with? Real/Quicktime, gee, fork over $50 if you want the uncrippled nagware versions. MS should just tell EU to stuff it. Oh and what formats do real/quicktime run, oh gee, not much except their native formats. Apple bundles all kinds of apps in their OS yet you don't hear any complaints, never mind apple is more closed source than MS though not sure how that will stand now the new os is based more on 'nix. Bad as media player may be, it's no where the buggy crappy coded hog like realplayer is.

I think everyone is sueing MS for the money and not all the other anti practices. If there was no microsoft and Joe 6 pack would be lost in a world of Unix and Linx

deRusett said:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=282954

the above thread talks about this as well

and I do not think that the WinXP lite version has to be the same speed, no were in the ruling did it say that, all it said was MS was to removed the offending softwares from Windows,

basically MS could cripple WinXP lite as it said would happen upon removing IE from Windows 98

no I read somewhere else that the lite version would have to have the same functionality. no crippling allowed.

mac sucks....... :mad: flame

shortyes said:
I think everyone is sueing MS for the money and not all the other anti practices. If there was no microsoft and Joe 6 pack would be lost in a world of Unix and Linx

But if there was no microsoft and only Unix and Linux then people would just see that as normal and find it just as easy as using windows is now.

boffin2163 said:

But if there was no microsoft and only Unix and Linux then people would just see that as normal and find it just as easy as using windows is now.

NOT A CHANCE

I am both a Linux and WIndows user

Linux does not even come close to being as user friendly and as easy to use as Windows.

Lindows is close to Windows in being user friendly with its click and install software,

With out Microsoft, the world would be a Mac/ IBM battle both companies fighting for supremisy with there own OS's

deRusett said:

NOT A CHANCE

I am both a Linux and WIndows user

Linux does not even come close to being as user friendly and as easy to use as Windows.

Lindows is close to Windows in being user friendly with its click and install software,

With out Microsoft, the world would be a Mac/ IBM battle both companies fighting for supremisy with there own OS's

I am also a linux and windows user but i was not saying it would be more user friendly just that there would be more chance of more people using it so it would just be a normal thing to use linux. If you see what i mean

boffin2163 said:

I am also a linux and windows user but i was not saying it would be more user friendly just that there would be more chance of more people using it so it would just be a normal thing to use linux. If you see what i mean

I see what you mean. It's like if cars only came in Manual then everyone who drove would know how to drive one.

I'd like to see how "XP lite" turns out. Think about it if XP Pro was suppose to be a workstation OS and it still full of crap what makes anyone think that MS will make an XP lite while not being crippled.

I read on yahoo that microsoft has like 53 billion in cash reserves so a 611 million dollar fine is not to much of an impact. When you really think about it this lawsuit is unfair. How can someone tell you how to run your business? Is it your fault everyone is using your product? Should you be punished because your business is succesfull? Of course not.

But then I think, this is microsoft. Who cares if they have to pay or not. They make the average person pay a arm and a leg for their OS's and when you buy it you don't even "own it", plus it's decfective. So screw them. Maybe they're reaping what they sowed. I just hope their OS's continue to be free.

boffin2163 said:

I do see what you mean,

though, the number of users would be FAR FAR less, look how many people have problems using Windows, if Unix was the only OS, the Computer Inustry would still be a Business industry not a Public industy, with kids being driving factors in Computer buying.

I bet if we polled everyone in OS forums and asked how they got there start in PC's 80% would say Windows starting with 3.1 and up

I don't understand how people don't know why theres laws on competition.

Without competition we have no choice and most likely a poorer product.

Microsoft are very aggresive when it comes to dealing with competition, and we all suffer for it.

The bad products, problems and lack of choice is all down to M$ and its monopoly.

TDF.

TheDogFather said:
I don't understand how people don't know why theres laws on competition.

Without competition we have no choice and most likely a poorer product.

Microsoft are very aggresive when it comes to dealing with competition, and we all suffer for it.

The bad products, problems and lack of choice is all down to M$ and its monopoly.

TDF.

I have not suffered at all from Microsoft introducing new features that I want, if anything back in the days when you payed for Bandwidth usage or ran 56k having a mediaplayer, Browser and E-mail client preinstalled saved time, and money.

and nothing is stopping people from downloading replacements and 3rd Party apps

I use Firefox for most of my Internet Browsing
PowerDVD for most of my Media Viewing
WinAmp for most of my Music needs.

The People who want more can easily go out and get it, Microsoft is not stopping people from making applications to run on the windows platform, they are just offering basic services to those who don't really want to go out and hunt, I think this is a good thing, since WMP you don't see threads asking "what program should I get to watch movies" nearly as much, people who don't have a clue, don't need to get one, Microsoft Provided the basic tools needed.

and do note, Microsoft DID offer to bundle other companies media players with Windows XP, but this offer was turned down.

deRusett said:

and nothing is stopping people from downloading replacements and 3rd Party apps

The People who want more can easily go out and get it, Microsoft is not stopping people from making applications to run on the windows platform.

ok great!, so now that i went and installed all these 3rd party apps, how do i Un-install the microsoft ones?

see thats the deal. you cant uninstalll (at least not easily) WMP or Messenger, or outlook, or lotsa stuff you may not neeed. this is the problem. its not that MS gives us software, its that they dont give us a option to completely remove it that ****es so many peeps off.

If it came unbundled, then people would choose what they wanted. The market share for other companies would be bigger, more money, more competition, better products.

Renember the majority of computer users just buy a Dell or Compaq, it comes loaded up with what they need. So really they are removed from the pool of potential customers. Why buy something else when you allready have something to do the job.

Myself I'm reluctant to use another browser, it just doesn't seem right to still have IE on my system doing nothing.

If I could remove it, it would be gone and I'd use something else.

Computing is amazing, but I feel it would be hugely better if there was fair competition.

Sadly its too late MS is too big, and can't be stopped now.

MS will rule the world.

TDF.

Lol, Wal-mart will rule the world before microsoft ever could.

The dog father - No one should be able to tell you how to run your business. Unless your intimidating the competition by forcing them to desrease production or die by a bullet or something. Sure the other companies arent given that much of a chance. But when you think about it logically, it just doesnt seem right. Sure microsoft has created a monopoly, but you dont have to use, ie, media player, etc.

How can you say no one should be able to tell you how to run your buisness ?

Have you any clue, how many rules and regulations there are concerning how a buisness should be run ? What are you proposing anarchy in the buisness world ? Look at the mess thats come to light concerning big buisness in your country in the last few years. That was people not running buisness how they were told. And your proposing run it anyway you want ?

Sure I have other choices, but those choices would be greater if MS didnt stifle the competition.

You dont think big buisness already has too much control over how the world is run ? How much say do you think MS will have when they are looking after the worlds data with TCPA and make further moves into media.

Knowledge is power, when they have the potential to know everything and control what we know, they will have the power.

TDF.

I like having IE included. I can surf over to mozilla.org and download firefox without having to order a cd. :p Out of all of the media players I like ms's the best. I absolutely hate RA and musicmatch. QT is ok if you have the pro version.

Back