• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Hdd Problem! Desperate!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SybrCLocK

hey... i`ve got a problem..a big one...
a friend of mine tryed to split a 80 gig partition into 2, 40 ones.
he left partition magic to work, and when he returned there was an error reported by Partition magic. after that the partition was marked as BAD and could not be formatted through windows or DOS.

he did a low level format on it and managed to partition it again.

NOW HE CAME TO ME TO COPY SOME STUFF, I INSERTED THE HDD AND BOOTED INTO WINDOWS XP. MY HDD NOW WAS MARKED BAD TOO!!!!

i saw that the 2 HDD where both slaves, and both on the same ribbon. i`ve set mine master, booted (from another HDD) and ran NDD. now my partition lookes like this: i`ve attached the pic

i desperate need the help in any way possible. If you know how it can be fixed, or at least how i can recover data...anything is welcome

tx

Attachments

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 70
First of all if the data is really important I'd take it to a data recovery center. It can be expensive, though, probably $500+.

What format were the partitions, FAT32 or NTFS?

What probably happened was the paritition tables were corrupted. Tell me the format of the partitiions and I can help recover the data.

(maybe this should go in the storage section)

ok.. it was a FAT32..
i tryed dozens of recovery programs... some did recover the files as file01, 02, 03... no use.. since i dont know what is what.. and one program recovered the filenames too, but mixed the content of the file. ex. queen - show must go on was in fact beatles - ...

windows xp ran scandisk on the drive.. and for 8 hours it recovered lost clusters... millions of them. Now i can see and access the drive in windows, even copy on it files, but still partition magic reports it as bad!

i get errors like:eek:bject's first cluster number invalid...

i thought i can do something else... i copyed 1 mounth ago all files from that harddrive onto another... and deleted them...i need a powerfull undeleter.. but i dont think the data is still alive.

thanks for any help..
how can i move the entire thread?

Back