• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copy win 2000 install files to old laptop HD from DOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heat

Hey guys, I was at work earlier this week and my boss asked me to put win2000 on a couple of old IBM thinkpads (I forgot which model). They are pretty old, PII w/DVD-ROM, no floppy or NIC, has just dial up modem - which made the autorebuild from the NIC not an option.

It had win98 on it but I wanted to boot from the CD. It didn't boot from the CD, so I tried the four floppy (used external drive), after the floppies were done loading, the computer said it could not recognize the CD? The newer Dell workstations seem to be able to boot from it fine. And YES, I did set the computer to boot from floppy, CD, HD order.

Anyway, what I did was finally boot in win98, pop the CD in and basically followed this guide. What finally WORKED was checking this - copy all setup files to hard drive.

So it went through fine.

BUT I want to know how I can copy the install files to the HD from the CD from DOS.

Say I have the win98 bootdisk and the win2000 CD.

I figure I FDISK first, then format the drive. What's the command to copy the setup file or how do I acheve this?

Whew. :D

about win98se bootdisk does it work?
http://www.bootdisk.com

xcopy works fine but do this before anything xcopy /? so you can know all the features!

If you want my vote you should install Ontrak fix it utiltits and patch up win98se and forget about reinstalling

I know certian people who took HD of laptop and hook it up on their desktop and got the mojo working heh

Last edited:
1) You can use XCOPY to copy all files under DOS (use /? to explore its syntax).

2) This process can take forever if you don't have SmartDrive loaded (I'm not sure if Win98 bootdisk loads it - IMHO no).

3) Are you REALLY sure you need Win2K on a slow system? I'd vote for 98 - it is stable and does what you need, no more.

I say if you have anything faster than 300MHz with 128MB or more yea you can run win2k pro but you have to be good keeping your # of processes down

it would work great on just 64mbs of ram and manually install the msconfig file you can download it or take it from xp i had a laptop with only 48mbs ram and after antivirus install it used 47megs idle..lol but it was snappy compared to windows 98 on alot of stuff

Back