• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my Hyperram Adata really PC4200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tekOC

I got a set of Komusa Hyperram 2x512mb PC-4200 Adata chips from www.komusa.com, and a few of you know I've been getting horrible bandwidth readings.... around 4500mb/s in Sandra with a 2.4C@280fsb, should be near 7000mb/s.

I would like to know if there is ANYTHING that can detect my TRUE RAM, because the latest version of CPU-Z(1.2.1) still reports my ram as PC-3200, and for some reason when I enable PAT it changes my Cycle Time (tras) from 8, to 6. But in the BIOS it is still 8 of course.

I'm gonna go run memtest86 right now to see if it does anything.

Did Komusa gip me or what? There's a label on both the sticks that says PC-4200, but I dont trust that little **** at all.

mem1.jpg
mem2.jpg

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's rated 266mhz but it's doing 280 (and probably has more in it) and you're complaining? Memory is guarenteed stock speeds, timings, voltages.
The pcb may be inferior, aka they may just suck, but they sure do their rated speeds (and a lot more!).
CPU-Z detection means nothing.

crimedog said:
It's rated 266mhz but it's doing 280 (and probably has more in it) and you're complaining? Memory is guarenteed stock speeds, timings, voltages.
The pcb may be inferior, aka they may just suck, but they sure do their rated speeds (and a lot more!).
CPU-Z detection means nothing.

Then why am I the only one in the world with "PC-4200" RAM that doesnt get detected by CPU-Z? Other people with PC-4200 RAM get detected as PC-4200....

And I dont give a flying **** about what its doing dude, it can be doing 400mhz ffs, but if I'm getting 4500mb/s bandwidth then I DO CARE, **** the mhz its doing its the BANDWIDTH that counts dude.

I'm not ****ing complaining dont jump on my *** like you know anything about it man, you dont even have Hyperram.

once agian, CPU-Z is a terribly inaccurate memory SPD program, dont trust its memory SPD detection for a second.

It detects my mushkin pc3500 level 2 as pc3200, evne when its running at 250MHz.

CPU-Z does that to me, too. I had XMS3200 it detected as 2700 ALL THE TIME. But your right, it's the bandwidth that counts. If it's not right, take it back and exchange it man.

Timmybighands said:
CPU-Z does that to me, too. I had XMS3200 it detected as 2700 ALL THE TIME. But your right, it's the bandwidth that counts. If it's not right, take it back and exchange it man.

Yep, thats what I wanted to hear.... after I get the new P4C800-ED... I'll pop the sticks in and if I get the same crappy results - I'm sending these sticks back to Komusa for replacement.

:D

.....reports my ram as PC-3200,
cpu/z is probably reporting what the ram is running at (nearest common
speed). Your picture shows a 200 mHz fsb speed, so 200 X 16 = 3200. I think
my Adata PC 4200 is reported at it's running speed, but the only speed I
remember seeing is PC3200. I know my OCz PC2700 is reported as it's nearest
common running speed. My Geil Platinum Plus PC 3500 is reported at PC3500.
I'm guessing, from this and from the cpu/z release notes, that if it doesn't
recognize the ram, it reports it at it's nearest common running speed or just makes a guess.

.....when I enable PAT it changes my Cycle Time (tras) from 8, to
6. But in the BIOS it is still 8 of course.
If PAT is like GAT on my Abit AI7, I think that's how it works. It changes
the memory settings, but in more detail than the regular timing options
offered on the board.

.....around 4500mb/s in Sandra with a 2.4C@280fsb...
I doubt there's anything wrong with your ram. At 280 fsb, shouldn't you get
about 4480 for unbuffered memory bandwidth? The Adata memory is single
sided, not double sided, so you'd need to run 4 sticks to get the most
advantage out of dual channel mode. You might want to check your SiSoft
Sandra module options to make sure buffering isn't turned off.

I'm rma'ing my PC4200 back to komusa because it won't run at DDR533 (266
mHz). I have 15 days to return it. If you plan on sending yours back anyway,
you might want to check on time restrictions. They'll check the ram and if
there's nothing wrong with it, they'll charge you for return shipping.

(BTW, if I wanted to return the memory for a refund, I'd lose about $43 on
the deal, on a $149 purchase.)

Gary

tekOC said:
I got a set of Komusa Hyperram 2x512mb PC-4200 Adata chips from www.komusa.com, and a few of you know I've been getting horrible bandwidth readings.... around 4500mb/s in Sandra with a 2.4C@280fsb, should be near 7000mb/s.

I would like to know if there is ANYTHING that can detect my TRUE RAM, because the latest version of CPU-Z(1.2.1) still reports my ram as PC-3200, and for some reason when I enable PAT it changes my Cycle Time (tras) from 8, to 6. But in the BIOS it is still 8 of course.

I'm gonna go run memtest86 right now to see if it does anything.

Did Komusa gip me or what? There's a label on both the sticks that says PC-4200, but I dont trust that little **** at all.

mem1.jpg
mem2.jpg

:rolleyes:

MY komusa hyperram is detected by cpu z as pc3200 also. almost all the pc4000-4200-4400 is nothing more than spped tested hynix bt d43 chips. these chips were originally built to run pc3200 speeds, but go much much faster..adata uses these chips. the reason why cpuz detects your ram as 3200 is because the spd chip(serial presence data chip built onto the stick was programmed as pc3200. its not the info on cpuz that is giving u very low bandwidth its something else, cause my hyperram at 290-1-1 gives me about 6700 buffered. here are some things to check:

do u have sandra set for buffered or unbuffered? unbuffered will give significantly lower scores.
i noticed in your pic of cpuz the memory was running 200 mhz, are u running 1-1?
are u running dual channel?

see if any of the above suggestions help and get back to us..flapperhead

Yep, running dual channel, 1:1 400mhz in BIOS.

SiSoftware Sandra was installed, no settings changed... so it should run unbuffered, since thats the default setting.

I'll check it.

Well honestly though, do some more benchies, figure out what is being misreported. Have you changed motherboards or RAM? Perhaps you should troubleshoot more before jumping to conclusions.

man_utd said:
Well honestly though, do some more benchies, figure out what is being misreported. Have you changed motherboards or RAM? Perhaps you should troubleshoot more before jumping to conclusions.

Yep, thats what I wanted to hear.... after I get the new P4C800-ED... I'll pop the sticks in and if I get the same crappy results - I'm sending these sticks back to Komusa for replacement.

... still waiting for the new P4C800-ED.

If you're only running 400MHz (2 x 200)DDR, then those Sandra scores look fine. With the relaxed timings, this memory is just not designed to be ran at 400MHz. That's what low latency PC3200 is for.

flapperhead said:
yeah, a part of the equation is missing, 4500 buffered is around what i get when i run the hyperram at 200-1-1 with 3-4-4-8....

But, according to him, he's running it unbuffered . He said it's default settings, which is unbuffered in Sandra '04.
280 X 16 =4480. He's running about right. Would be more with tight timings and double sided ddr in dual channel, but it's about right for our Hyperam. If he switched to buffered mode, I bet he'd hit about 6600.

Gary

What?

When I got around 4500mb/s in Sandra I was @ 280fsb x 12 = 3360MHz.

At 200fsb I get like 3500mb/s, this is on the CPU in my sig (Intel) - Sandra was run using the DEFAULT settings, buffered probably.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just ran Sandra BUFFERED @ 200x12(Default) and I got a score of 3490mb/s, then I ran unbuffered and I got 2700mb/s.
This is with SPD timings (2.5-3-3-8), 1:1(400mhz) for RAM, PAT set to Standard.

Last edited:
You don't happen to have a lot of programs running in the background do you? I would also suggest running Sandra right after a fresh reboot.

If you are running 12 x 280, then yeah, something is not right. You should be over 6000MB/s.

Ehh... I get the same after a fresh reboot.

My background programs are my Internet Connection, Zonealarm, and some icons that dont do crap, they just sit there so I can click them... like printer stuff. And the ATI icon.

Back