• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

format c

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chloeandrobyn

hi im gonna take my pc back to scratch format c do i have to take any hardware out of the case ...ie nic cards ...graphics cards...sound cards etc and i have windows 98 with the xp upgrade disc...is it better to put xp straight on without 98..and how do i partion the drives to put windows in 1 partion.....thanxs very much

You shouldn't have to take any hardware out. Also, we need to know if you have the windows 98 install CD by itself, or if you have a "restore CD" that comes with most factory PCs.

chloeandrobyn said:
hi im gonna take my pc back to scratch format c do i have to take any hardware out of the case ...ie nic cards ...graphics cards...sound cards etc and i have windows 98 with the xp upgrade disc...is it better to put xp straight on without 98..and how do i partion the drives to put windows in 1 partion.....thanxs very much

If possible, install windows xp on its own. Boot from the CD and the install program will let you delete, create and format partitions so that you can have one windows partition. Then follow the rest of setup through.

If possible, install windows xp on its own.

Generally speaking, and upgrade disk will not be a complete OS. You'll probably have to install 98 first.

and how do i partion the drives to put windows in 1 partion

I'm kinda old school so I still use FDISK to partition. If you don't have it on a floppy check download.com or maybe bootdisk.com (I can't remember if it's out there.)

Start the computer from a bootdisk without CD-ROM support. Once you have FDISK on a floppy, put it in your A: drive and type fdisk. Enable large disk support. Use FAT32. Then choose the option to create a DOS partition or logical drive. Create primary DOS partion. Accept the default size (that'll be the whole drive). If the drive is larger than 64gb, WIN98 and 98se can display the size in FDISK as 64gb less than it really is. Don't freak. :eek: I did when my brand new WD800jb showed up as about 12gb. The whole drive will be there. Use Esc to go back to the main menu. Set the primary to active. Reboot (you can use Ctrl-Alt-Del) and that should do it.

You won't have to take your hardware out; but when 98 fires up the first time your going to get a bazillion 'new hardware detected' prompts. It can be a real annoyance. Up to you, but my own preference is to install components/software one at a time. If you do this, do the vid card first.

Last edited:
I heard that with the XP upgrade, all you have to do is start the XP install, and then XP will ask for your 98 disk/key. Then you supply that and it continues as normal. This is hear-say. I have a full install of XP so I dunno if thats true or not...

diggingforgold said:
I heard that with the XP upgrade, all you have to do is start the XP install, and then XP will ask for your 98 disk/key. Then you supply that and it continues as normal. This is hear-say. I have a full install of XP so I dunno if thats true or not...

This is true, but some computer vendors include "recovery CDs". The XP setup won't recognize them as windows 98 CD's. In any case a clean install is always best.

I would just buy the OEM full version sience it's chaeper than the upgrade. You can get it for $91.00 on www.NewEgg.com

the xp upgrade wont need any files from 98, theres nothing in common besides they both suck :p

You do not need to install 98 first. I have xp home upgrade and have done many full formats with it. It definetly will ask you for proof of an OS to upgrade from. All you need to do is swap in the 98 disc when it tells you to. Very simple. It doesnt appear to copy any files, just verifies that you do have a previously purchased OS.

Back