• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bandwidth issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chris181M

Registered
I have several programs running that are using my bandwidth, but none of them are using as much bandwidth as they could be. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I might be able to increase my bandwidth to these programs?

i think we'll need more information... what do you mean by you have programs running, but they're not using your full bandwidth?

how do you know they're not? if you're downloading things from the internet, there are a whole slew of things that determine how fast something will download.

My computer tells me that I have an 11 Mbps connection, but the download speeds are topping out at around 100 Kbps

You have an 11Mbps Netowrk Connection ( wireless I assume) your connection to the Internet is probably slower then that, AND when you downlaod you can only download as fast as the upload of the location you are downloading from,

if you found a site with an upload of 1Mb you would find you could probably get a download of about 900kb/s after "noise" assuming you were the only connection

A network connection and a internet connection are totaly different :)

For example, I currently have a 100Mbit/sec connection to my cable modem. However, the modem can then only communicate on the net @ about 4MBit/sec. This limits my download speeds to a theoretical maximum of 500KB/sec. Other factors (like upload speeds of servers, line quality, number of routers between me and the server, etc) bring that down to much less usually though.

The 11Mbit is more than likely the connection to the network. The network then connects to the net at some other speed which is part of the reason for your "slow" download.
JigPu

Back