• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget PC3200?? in this forum??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Southpaw

Hey all,

Going to be moving from a KT3 Ultra2 to "probably" a KT600 system. Currently I have a 2400-M in my KT3U2. It is running at 13.5 X 167.(multiplier is a little screwy on the KT3, so it defaults to this...working fine so I am not gonna mess with it until I get a new mobo..)

I dont plan to OC much...maybe try for something like 205-210 X 11-12..

now the 2 questions:

What is some 'decent, not too expensive' memory that can do this?

Also, I currently run 512MB...My usage breaks down like this..gaming 25%, surfing,email,etc=60%, video editing=15%

Can I stay with 512, or should I grab 1GB??

thx for the help and Great forum/site!!!

SP

I would go for an Nforce2-based system, personally...

As far as RAM goes, snag some Buffalo PC3200/WC from newegg.com ($89 for a 512mb stick) which uses Winbond CH-5 chips on it. Those will do the speed you're asking easily at looser timings like 2.5-2-3 or 2.5-3-3 with a little voltage.

I would go for 1gig if you can afford it... it will boost your games nicely, and especially video editting a lot. I had 512mb for the longest time, but finally went to 1gig and have seen a massive improvement in running dual copies of Dark Age of Camelot, running UT2004, and other games.

GT,
thx for the input...I have been reading on the KT600 and the Nforce2 boards...I really dont want to reformat and reinstall all my games/apps and was thinking a KT600 might give me a better shot at a winxp repair install...

Lets say I am still hunting an NF2 board....What is a good budget board..not the cheapest and not the most expensive??

As far as the wallet goes, I can get a stick of 512mb now and another in a month?? think they will still have some Buffalo WC in a month??

thx

SP

Last edited:
Shuttle an35n is good. Look around in the newegg refurbs too, try to get an nforce ultra 400 board. If not, an nforce 400 is good.

hehehe..if you could see my browser, you would see that is where I have been living the last 2 days... Just not sure which on to pull the trigger on... Maybe I will just grab a gig of PC3200 now and post a qustion in the motherboard forum with my top picks for a KT600 adn NF400 board and let the experienced ones lead me down the right path....

SP

i was running a kt600 board for like a month, it was stable but slow, i decided to pick up a dfi infinity refurb for $69 and i'm so glad i did, also i got 2 sticks of 256 kreton pc3500 for $100, and now im running it at 225 x 10= 2200mhz rock solid and not even sweating. ( i plan on going higher when i get some better cooling)it's a great budget system that runs very fast, i've been playing desert combat on it also for a few days with no problems. if your scared about a refurb, u might wanna check out the shuttle nforce2 ultra board for only $65 new. just doesn't have seria ata though. or get the abit for $80.

hmmmm...I was just looking at the Kreton..Remember seeing in a post that it had CH-5 chips on it??

Still trying to decide if I want to get 1 512MB and run in single channel mode or **** off the wife and get 2 sticks of 512 so I can run in dual.. hmm

I just came back from Fry's and bought the Corsair valueram for $69.99 after rebates. It does 220fsb with 2.5-3-3-11. Unfortunately I can't go above 220 because of my motherboard so I don't know what the "true" limits are.

That ram is for my dad. I personally have the buffalo tech. from newegg. It runs 220fsb also but at 2-3-3-11.

Back