• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does cas timings make a huge diff with game servers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LaZogNa

Registered
Sup guys,
I'm going to put up a game server (p4 2.4c) and use a few old sticks of ram that are different (2100x2 +2700+3200) for a total of 1.5gig.. Cause they are all different specs I was planning on running them as 2100's (or what ever I can get away with) but I'm curious if the memory timings make a huge difference in game servers or not... I know it does for 3d mark ;) but does it for hosting a 64 player BF:Vietnam server or UT2004? I was planning on using relaxed settings like cas3... I'd go cas2 or 2.5 but I cant afford to have it lock up on me cause it will be colo'd very far from my house =(

Anyway, I'd love to hear some opinions on this
z-

for a server i dont think the timmings would matter but with play in the game yes then it matters....and if u git to paranoid just buy some ECC memory so you wont have any errors...

64 Player? What kind of interent connection are we talking here?

Memory settings aren't going to matter. PC133 is fine for a game server. As long as you have enough of it.

Cool thats what I was hoping... Hopefully I won't have to buy any new anything for a little while ;) Just tyring to make use of all my old ram in one rig =)

the net connection is at a local isp here in a hawaii on a 10/100 switch... good stuff

thanks guys

z-

10/100 switch? i dont think that can handle a 64 man server.....you may even need more ram if you fill it up with that many people....whats the upload speed on the connection?

I'll agree that your RAM doesn't matter, as long as you have enough of it, and that seems like enough.

But your connection may be a problem. Are you saying everyone will be in the same room as you? And your doing it over LAN? I'm not sure if 100mb/s is going to be enough.

Back