• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Windows 2000 OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

invisible hand

I'm trying to fix my uncles Laptop. Its a P3 Compaq Armada 7400 running Windows 2000. Not sure about the other specs.

I can't seem to get to the desktop. The computer loads and I can hear the chime but I can't see any icons on the desktop.

I can get into task manager, and once there, it says that CPU usage is 100 %. The hour glass is constantly on.

I ran Norton Antivirus as a boot disk in DOS for 21 hrs and it found no viruses.

Please help! What should I do? I want to retrieve the files on the computer and then reformat the HD, but I can't seem to load the desktop.

Thanks

Tried safe mode? Hit the F8 key just after BIOS screen disappears.

Its possible that the LCD has been turned off.

Try the FN key and what ever F key looks like a monitor. Also the LCD could have died. Try an external monitor.

{PMS}fishy said:
Its possible that the LCD has been turned off.

Try the FN key and what ever F key looks like a monitor. Also the LCD could have died. Try an external monitor.

Well I can access task manager, so the screen must be working.

If he uses password protection would this prevent me from seeing any icons?

Back