• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe every-day voltage for BH-5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chronos_s

Hey guys,

I have successfully done the Vdimm and +3.3v rail mod on my computer (nf7-s and fsp-400) and can get up to 3.35v to my memory (measured on the mosfet, by DMM)

Its kingston hyperx pc3200 with bh-5 chips. whats the highest safe voltage i can run these babies at, for every day use? i'm talking 24/7 here

Can they take 3.35v on a permanent basis?

thanks!!

I havent ever heard of ram chips getting killed over long use of high voltage, its probably very possible, but its not gonna happen anytime soon most likely. I guess they can handle it better than cpus.

From what I've read, BH-5 RAM chips have been able to handle 3.2v for everyday usage just fine. I wouldn't worry about trying it.

You need 3.3v to do 223mhz with that mushkin bl2? Ouch dude... that's a lot of voltage for a relatively low speed. No voltmod on my NF7-S, my mushkies can do up to 237mhz, 2-2-2-11 memtest error free (my cpu can't do 2370mhz unfortunately so I'm "stuck" with 233x10) at the 2.9v setting (2.96v actual).

I wouldn't be so sure anymore about using high voltage 24/7 safely. I had 2 sticks of BH-5 and one of them recently went bad duing the last two months, the module started to error ramdomly till eventuly the module would error instantly when using memtest86 at any speed, voltage and timing. I had been using 3.25v on them.
Most memory module producers recommend a maximum of 2.8v, there is a logical reason for this.
If you can use 3.2v+ for a long time and get away with it then go for it, its a risk your have to take. Increasing the voltage will greatly increase the chance of short term failier. No body has any real idea/guide lines of when and where abouts this will happen.
It may of well been that I was unlucky and that my particular module was bound to fail no matter the voltage used.
It would be safe to say that I have learnt a lesson and will be using at absolute maximum of 2.8v-2.9v for now on. Only will use high voltage on cheap stuff I dont care about, like my budget CH-5 in my sig.

Back