• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

URGENT....... regarding pc3500 mushkin ram.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadInsane

I just had the opportunity to pick up EITHER some mushkin level 1 pc3200 at CAS 2-3-2 OR some mushkin level 1 pc3500 CAS 2-3-3 I am running in an MSI K7N2 Delta-L Motherboard and barton 2800 with gig of ram in dual channel. I chose the pc3500!! BUT, I might be able to revoke my choice in the next couple hours, so what would you guys reccommend? I chose the additional 17 mhz fsb over the slightly lower cas. I will be running in 1:1 mode and fast as possible settings. THanks!! :D

Hard to say depending on what fsb your shooting for. My MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR died at around 227 fsb. (same board more less, just more junk that comes with/on it)

Just thought I'd give ya some food for thought. (I have heard it maxes out at about 230, but actually getting it to pull 230 is another story)

ya, true story, I have heard the same thing... Did you happen to have a case fan right on the "passive" cooling of the northbridge? this can help tremendously in reaching those higher speeds. Were you able to RMA the board to MSI?? thanks for the help guys.

It really doesn't matter. The PC3200 and PC3500 Level 1's are pretty much exactly the same. They use CH-5 Chips. Basically, if you get the PC3500, if you wanted, you could easily run it at 200mhz @ 2-3-2. You can very likely run 2-3-2 @ 217mhz as well, Mushkin is just being conservative in their guaranteed spd timings. The only thing I can think of, in terms of difference, is that Mushkin speedbins their CH-5, their faster stuff going to the PC3500. So you'll probably get the higher quality CH-5 by going with the PC3500, which will do a combination of tighter timings (2-3-2) with more overclocking headroom. If the price difference is negligible, I agree with others to go with the PC3500.

Back