• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

I have had some problems crop up over the last few weeks that I would love solved. Reinstall is not a solution.

Anyways, start computer, stick in floppy disk, to go My Computer, double click on A. Drive accesses the disk...

"The disk in drive A is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"

Click on no. Double click on the drive. Drive is accessed, I go about my disk reading/writing activities... Everything is fine until I restart.

Second...

I hit WIN-L to hot-switch users (aka, lock screen). On the welcome screen, there is a little EN beside my user name where I would type in my password. I never had this before, this is not a multi-language system... so, why is that there?

By the way, the EN is only there when I lock my screen... it is not there on initial boot.

I am using Windows XP Professional SP 1 with all updates (or most all, didn't check today! :)).

Suggestions?

hot switch users didn't work well for me acutally i got corrupted profiles so i suggest that you disable it :( and switch to the classic login which seems to be working better for most people

Maybe uninstall / reinstall the floppy drive from device manager.

Also verify you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard, as well as the latest Windows chipset drivers for your board.

@Zoplax... Thanks!! That did solve my floppy drive problem. :)

@fadriocks... I don't SWITCH users, I only have one user on this machine. I use the switch user welcome screen thing to serve as a nice locking screen. I might try switching to the Win2K style of locking screen soon though... that would solve my problem with the switch screen being screwed up, however I was hoping I could solve that problem...

it's good that you don't have other users that hot switch. but you should create a backup account so anything happen to your account you can use the backup!
for security reasons It's recommended that you use a limited (restricted) account and when you try to install or run certain programs you can use the Run As and use admin password

does the language bar appear on your desktop when you are in windows? i know that when you install certain programs (microsoft office 2003 for me), the language bar seems to pop up. that might be an issue that would cause the "en" to come up.

go to the control panel and then click on "regional and language options" and see if you can disable it in there. it just sounds like your system had multiple languages enabled.

That tip didn't exactly work, I never had the language bar ever pop up on my system. However, I did find the problem, and it is in the regional and language options.

Under the languages tab, click on details. In there, there is a installed services section. It was ok, it showed English (US), however it had a scroll bar. For some reason, there was also a Tawian section and a French section. I deleted them, leaving only the english section. Applied and rebooted, and the problem was gone! :)

Thanks for everybody's help!

Lastly, one last question, what problems exactly does the quick user switching cause?

What I got from Quick User Switch is corruption in profiles making them unaccessable and sometimes corruption in windows classic theme forcing me back to WinXP Theme which i don't like. the solution was to backup docs and bookmarks then nuke account and recreate it:bang head

Back