• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyperthreading Windows 2000 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

betterlife18

Intel*** (edited) says that Windows 2000 Pro doesn't support hyperthreading, and that if it is enabled it might cause system instability. So far, I haven't found that to be true. I can't really tell the difference in performance if it is enabled or disabled. I haven't tested it with benchmarks or anything. I just want to know if that is a myth or what.

does windows see your computer as "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" whith ht enabled?? [EDIT](add use full info) in device manager[\EDIT]
windows 2k cant distinguish between an ht enabled processor and a dual processor machine hence windows 2kpro can only see 2 cpu in a dual xeon (cant see the hyperthreaded core).

Last edited:
Yes, device manager shows it as "ACPI Multiprocessor PC". So since it doesn't see it as dual logical cpus, BUT dual physical cpus... therefore it is taking use of HT?

I'd say it is.

If it's picking up dual CPUs, then it's picking up the HT as two physical CPUs, not a physical and a logical CPU.

Shouldn't really hurt performance.

i just installed win 2000 pro and im get all kinds of errors and if i play any games it shuts down my rig.i have hyper enabled which could be it.i had the same os on my other rig which is amd and it was fine.ill try turning it off tonight.ill see what happens tonight.

Back