• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM DILEMA!!!!! PC4000 or PC4400???? CORSAIR or OCZ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

theJudas

Hi I have a P4P800 Deluxe , a P4 3G (800FSB), and actually use a pair of Corsair TwinX 1024 3200LL Modules. I am willing to upgrade my Ram Sticks in order to Overclock my system to make it faster.

I ma not happy with my old Corsair Twinx 1024 3200LL Modules, because I have had lots of trouble using them since the begining. I got the first release of these modules which unfortunately made them unstable with my motherboard due to their low latency capabilities.

Now they are stable at 2.85V and with relaxed timmings otherwise they crash.

The point is which memory you guys think is better?

OCZ Gold 4000 EL DDR (1024)
Corsair Twinx 1024 4000Pro
Corsair Twinx 1024 4400

or any other you think might be better or it will help me streeeeeeeeeeetch my system to the max.

Thanks in Advance

;)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS. first u gotta check out how fast ur setup will run. that pc4400 is for guys with 2.4c's that want to run at least 275+fsb. if u ran ur 3.0 at 275 it would have to overclock to about 4.1 gig which is highly unlikely on air. if ur cpu runs to about 240- 250 which is 3.6-3.75 gig, id look into some of the ocz pc3700 which will run those speeds plus run it at better timings that the pc4000. the pc4400 would be a waste of money, as stated above..

I would recommend our 3700 Gold Rev 2 modules for your 3GHZ chip, as getting above 240 FSB with air cooling on the 3.0C isn't very easy. Getting a Low Latency PC-3700 product will give you headroom and allow you to overclock to the likely limit of the CPU

Might as well buy the fastest stuff. When LGA775 or Socket939 rolls around you will be fully equiped to OC their improved 250mhz native bus.

My $.02

Nvm..

I work for OCZ and am proud of it.
I'd Listen to him. Employees always have the *real* info.BTW you should be proud:cool:

only prob is at 235-240 hes gonna get killed cause that pc4000- just aint gonna run on anything xcept 3-4-4-8 or if hes lucky 2.5-4-4-7.. another option would be getting some of the samsung pc3700 sticks anandtech did a review of it and the darn stuff oc'd to ddr535and the 512 sticks are CHEAP.

First you need to find out how far you cpu will go, once you know that, then choose some ram. I would go for the OCZ PC3700 or its corsair eqiv.

Thanks for that Quick Response ;)

Thank you guys for all of that info. As you can imagine I not very much into overclocking, but I hope to get into that littel by little.

From your comments i've deduced that PC4000 or Pc4400, is only advisable if you have a fairly low CPU and you really need to pump that up. Therefore for me PC3700 would be enough to attain the max capabilities of my CPU.

Ive realised you guys recommended OCZ, or even samsung: but none of you really pointed out towards that Corsair any special reason?

The other problem is that here in Spain is quite hard to get this Stuff (OCZ/COrSAIR memory modules); and I have only found PC4000 or PC4400 modules at the moment.

Thanks again....

;)

Great!!

I'll take a look at that store.

By the way as Freddie said, I have to find out how much my CPU would go. I do that by increasing my FSB until the system crashes, but wouldn't i be able to go further on if I had faster and Overclockeble Ram.

If I try doing this with my actual

TwinX 1024 PC3200LL corsair Sticks

It wil surelly crash very soon due to their unstability at lower timmings.

Correct if my prcedure is wrong please.

Thanks again

;)

Hi-

If you plan on extreme overclocking using that board with the Corsair pc4400, you will have to do some significant modifications.

I use the the Corsair PC4400 on a P4C-800 Deluxe with a P4-3.2EE. On air, stock cooling, no mods, the best ram timings I can get are 2.5-3-3-6-4 @ 2.85Vdimm, Vcore @1.575 @ 215 FSB. With a Vdimm mod, I might get the ram to run 'tighter', 2-2-2-5/6, but it's no guarantee.

I can run a 3:2 divider, FSB 166 setting, and run 2-2-2-5...but why? Running 1:1, 400mhz + setting, at low latency ram settings, is what you want.

If you plan on on mild overclocking with stock cooling, FSB at 225-235, get the Low Latency (LL) ram: 2-2-2-5/6.

If you want to tryto get 'up there', 4ghz and up, then get the 4400 and mod your board. Your timings above 3.5 ghz will be 'loose', 3-4-4-8, and the performance in the 3.5 range with those 'loose' settings will be noticeably slower than 2-2-2-5/6 tight timings.

The Corsair 4400 sticks are quaranteed to run DDR 550 speeds-275FSB @ 2.75 vdimm. Whether your board and processor will do that just depends on how lucky you are.

On air, stock cooling, no vcore mod, no vdimm mod, get the low latency ram. 2-2-2-5/6. OCZ makes some really nice stuff. I really like their 3700 stuff for air clocking.

get the LL stuff.

-luck

Hey, theJudas, I can help you find a store that will ship to you in Spain. I am sure OC UK will, as another member pointed out.

By the way as Freddie said, I have to find out how much my CPU would go. I do that by increasing my FSB until the system crashes, but wouldn't i be able to go further on if I had faster and Overclockeble Ram.

What you do is you have to take the ram out of the equation to find your board fsb limit/cpu limit. With that 3.0, you'll probably hit the latter first. Change your fsb/mem ratio to something like 5:4 or 3:2, so that you can up your fsb without maxing out your memory speed. (IE. you ca get up to 250mhz fsb or 300mhz fsb at 5:4 or 3:2 respectively without making your memory go over its stock 200mhz)

Also, just because no one has mentioned yet, if you really have the FIRST incarnation of the 3200LL corsair sticks (ie. v1.1), you have BH-5 ram. Which is truly a beautiful thing. If you're really set on getting PC3700/PC4000/PC4400, you could easily sell those sticks for insane money (BH-5 is selling like hotcakes).

Thanks for you reply

Sorry but i am a bit ignorant; what is a (BH-5)...in terms , of type of memory sticks..

thanks again

;)

BH-5 is a type of Winbond memory chip that is not made anymore. they are known for exceptional overclocking and tight timings, plus withstanding high vdimm.

The OCZ PC3700 is good stuff if you can get your hands on it. What might be more available in Europe and maybe cheaper is A-Data PC4000. A lot of 3.0C CPUs will hit 250 FSB or sometimes a little more. If you are able to do at least 250 FSB (DDR500 at 1:1 ratio), then you will want PC4000.

I would get the ocz pc4400 since its only a few dollars more and its slightly more future proof in case u decide to go prescott which can run a higher fsb

on good air cooling most people are getting your particular processor to around 250-260 fsb stable with quality ram. I personally have the same processor as you, in a p4p800 board and i can get mine to around these levels, but not stable because my ram can't handle high fsb even on 5:4 divider. I am planning on getting new ram soon as well, and from what i've been reading for the past few months is that most people don't get over 260 fsb with these processors on air cooling. My advice to you would would be to read some reviews on the popular 3200, 3500 and 3700 types of memory and find out which one is gonna do the best timings at around 250fsb 1:1 in your particular board.

Personally i have been reading good things about the ocz, and even the new 3200xl series from corsair. Good luck with whichever you choose. :)

There is a great review of the ocz 3500eb at anandtech.com. it explains and tests the eb technology. the results show that at ddr500 speeds the 3500eb out performs pretty much every other available memory on the market right now at 2.85v. :cool:

you can read this review here: http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=2019

I'll have to say that after reading this review it looks like this memory is perfect for the fastest performance with my chip and my board on air cooling. And it just so happens that you have the same chip and basically the same board as i do. ;)

I would advise you go with this ram. But that's just my 2 cents i guess.:)

yeah corsairs are crap. I have a pair of pc4000pro, i chucked a week later cause it wouldnt do tight timings at low speeds or overclock at all. Very disappointed and feel very ripped off.

Back