• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very generally, Corsair.. but it greatly depends on the specific ram speed/timings, what system you're using it in, and what you're going to do with it.

well im thinking of building a custom gaming comp and was wondering which should be best for gaming

Overclocking?
Best BH-5 memory you can find (Mushkin LVL2, TwinMos, Buffalo, Old Kingston HyperX) will be the best RAM for running tight timings at higher bus speeds.

If you have deep pockets, Corsair's XMS3500C2 is BH-5 (might be BH-6), but regardless are still damned good modules.

General Usage:
Crucial or Corsair Value rated DDR400 (look for 2.5-3-3-7 timings or better).

For gaming, any of the following will offer the greatest performance (tightest timings at highest bus speeds):

Corsair XMS3500C2
Mushkin Black Level II PC3500
TwinMos PC3500
Kingston KHX3000 (crank the voltage and the bus speeds).

Last edited:
Intel Pentium 4 processor
2.66GHz 533MHz
Nvidia Gforce FX 5600 Ultra
1024MB DDR memory
Front Side Bus Processor - Intel®i845 Chipset

I would *personally* get either some Mushkin or OCz. I would also stay away from BH5, instead I would get some PC4000.

Fast Ram benefits an Intel rig much more than low latencies. Low latencys are important for AMD setups.

In an AMD would the mushkin 2-2-2 special be better than say a dual pack of crucial in an NF7-S with AMD 2500+ M to be totally tweaked out with water cooling?

LOL!:D

No doubts there. Crucial dosnt use Winbond. Only Corsair, Kingston, OCz, Geil, and specifically Mushkin use Winbond products.

Winbond RAM is the best in the world. No other RAM comes close

Besides my aircooled monster is water-cooled quality. I can go toe-to-toe with the big boys

Hey Sentential,

You still holding out for that 2800 mobile? I see you've gotten your BH-5 RAM back. That is the stuff you bought from Newegg and had to RMA isn't it? From your endorsement of Winbond, it's safe to assume you're happy with it, huh?

By the way, have you seen that new shop on Blanding, about half way between Wells Rd & Kingsley? I dropped in a few days ago just to check out what they carry. They had some "Ultra" ram & I thought " Tigerdirect in OP? You've got to be kidding", but then a day later I saw that flapperhead had linked to a review where they seemed to think some of it was OK. The tested RAM had BH-6 chips. At least the shop is someplace to go for parts if you need them ASAP.

Back to the original question...

Skip the crucial unless you're just looking to build a solid, day-to-day rig. For a gaming rig, your best bet, for the money you'll spend, is the NF7-S with a mobile 2400/2500. Get any of the BH-5/6 Ram like what was listed above and some good cooling such as either something from the TR SKL series (900/947) or the SP97 with a Vantec 92mm Tornado and blow off the watercooling. Take the money you saved by not W/C and put it into your graphics card and maybe SATA. You'll have a better overall gaming rig that way.

d00d OMFG WHERE DO YOU LIVE!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I live in the Orange Park Country Club and go to skewl @ JU!

By the way, have you seen that new shop on Blanding, about half way between Wells Rd & Kingsley? I dropped in a few days ago just to check out what they carry. They had some "Ultra" ram & I thought " Tigerdirect in OP? You've got to be kidding", but then a day later I saw that flapperhead had linked to a review where they seemed to think some of it was OK. The tested RAM had BH-6 chips. At least the shop is someplace to go for parts if you need them ASAP.
What shop are u talkin bout? I was home yesterday and didnt see it

You still holding out for that 2800 mobile? I see you've gotten your BH-5 RAM back. That is the stuff you bought from Newegg and had to RMA isn't it? From your endorsement of Winbond, it's safe to assume you're happy with it, huh?
Nope, the low power Moble Bartons top off at the 2600+. The 2800+ is called "DeskTop Replacement" (DTR). So....2600+ it is. All I gotta do is scrounge up enough cash to get one.

Bout the RAM...I love mine. I got the good stuff from Mushy. Unfortunatly my mobo wont work with solid 2s. But its ok... It clocks very well. All-in-all Im very satisified.

Across the river from you, south of Mandarin in JCP. I've got a friend that lives where you do.

Glad you got your ram and that its working good for you.

The shop is in the strip mall just south of the one where Champion Schwinn is located. There's a Mexican Restaurant that has the lunch buffet "i want taco bell" and a couple of other stuff that I can't remember. Look for it again next time you drive by. Its only been open for a week or two. I was driving by, going to the Hobby Shop where the Schwinn shop is and saw it so I stopped and talked to the guy there for a little while and checked out the goods. I really didn't look at prices so I don't know if it reasonable or not. Like I said, if you need it fast (like some AS5, for example), at least you've got someplace close by.

Back