• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

windows update stuff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike521

yea yea I know, don't trust anything from microsoft, they're stupid, they make terrible programs, etc etc

nevertheless, these drivers are showing up in windows update and perhaps they really are something my machine can use. Can anyone shed some light on what they are and if I should install them?

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/Mike52179/hm.jpg

i get page cannot be displayed..

edit: works now :confused: ok for the nvidia drivers, i would just get the drivers off of nvidias website the Silicon image one is a driver for the device that controls your hds, but i have no idea about amd processor software

I usually download those drivers unless I know that I have a better version of them already installed. Get the AMD and Silicon one deffinately and possible the Nvidia one if you haven't updated manually.

It's safe and yes grab them drivers. Drivers are always a good thing to keep updated

Z

Make sure the manufacturers themselves don't have later versions of the drivers, since it is possible Windows Update has the very latest release.

JigPu

silicon and AMD = yes, video drivers =no

MS video drivers arnt as good at the manuf. drivers

Bleh.. I never use the drivers listed there. Twice it's ruined my OS installing drivers they've offered me. If I do see anything in there I go straight to the manufacturer as a couple of others have suggested. Just from personal experience I stay away from that section of Windows Update.

all my manufacturer drivers were up to date, these things that were showing up were in addition to the drivers I'd already installed from the manufacturer

anyway I installed all 3 of them and things are going just as smooth as before. I didn't do a benchmark or anything though, my system always scores low on 3dmark for whatever reason. gameplay is fine though so I don't care :)

the amd one is just so that windows will recognize newer amd procs. You know when you goto system in control panel and it says Athlon XP, that amd drivers tells windows to display that, otherwise you get a Unknown CPU Type where the cpu name is.

corrosion231 said:
the amd one is just so that windows will recognize newer amd procs. You know when you goto system in control panel and it says Athlon XP, that amd drivers tells windows to display that, otherwise you get a Unknown CPU Type where the cpu name is.
I see:)

I would be careful of the NVIDIA drivers. I loaded them and it crashed my system. I had to reload a backup image.

hmm no problems still, I'm happy :)

good tip on what the amd one does, I guess that explains why my 3dmark always said unkown cpu!

Back