• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I remove icons from control panel? (SPYWARE!!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

I ran Ad-Aware 6 with the latest update, deleted everything, ran NAV, deleted everything. When I installed AIM, the new one, all this WildTangent crap came on, so I got rid of it, but there's still this icon in control panel for it, I can even open it up and mess with some settings.

So I went through regedit, and deleted everything that said "WildTangent" and also anything that said "WT" that wasn't something important.

It's still there. There's no spyware on my computer, but this icon is still here, what do I do? =\

I believe you can delete them with TweakUI which is a MS powertoy. You can download it off of their website

Edited for spelling

I would look for a w*.cpl file some .cpl file associated with wild tangent. Delete or unregister that file and you should be good to go.

wtcpl.cpl in C:\WINDOWS\system32 delete that and it will go away. make sure control panel or the wild tangent thing isnt opened when doing it. Or, do a search for "wtcpl.dll" and "wtcpl.cpl" and delete those and it will be gone.

Tread

Just use TweakUI.. it'll give you an itemized list of your Control Panel icons and you just deselect the crappy ones. Then reboot, THEN think about deleting the CPL files.

Back