• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin Black High Performance level II PC3500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sauria

Are these dual kits:

2 x 256M
2 x 512M

composed of single sided chips or double sided on the PCB? Do single sided always O/C better?

Thanks

chips on one side: simm

chips on both sides: dimm, or ddr.

it does make a difference. most boards these days only accept DDR ram. that ram you mentioned is ddr, and its meant for dual channel, which has nothing to do with single sided (simm) or double sided (dimm or ddr) ram.

gustav said:
chips on one side: simm

chips on both sides: dimm, or ddr.

it does make a difference. most boards these days only accept DDR ram. that ram you mentioned is ddr, and its meant for dual channel, which has nothing to do with single sided (simm) or double sided (dimm or ddr) ram.

The 2x256mb Kingston PC3200 that was on sale from Best Buy was single sided and it worked perfectly fine on my NF7-S.

I have read somewhere that single-sided O/C better -- is this right for PC3200 DIMMS?

well as far as i know, dual sided = ddr or dimm; single sided = simm... as far as support in boards meant for ddr, i dont know cuz i havent tried.

I thought with the newer high density chips that there were single-sided DIMMs now.

but that wouldnt allow double data rate (ddr). the whole point of ddr is to have both sides, each running the spec speed (200mhz for pc3200) and put together it runs the 400mhz. you couldnt do this with a single sided stick from what i know... i may be wrong and if i am wrong and you can prove it, please do so i can remember in the future....thanks.

DDR refers to both sides of the clock cycle not the physical arrangement I believe

sauria said:
DDR refers to both sides of the clock cycle not the physical arrangement I believe

Yes that's what I've always thought also. It's not the physical arrangement of the chips.

And example is the ram I sited, the Kingston PC3200 ram which uses the hynix chips.

hmmm, interesting....i read about how ddr worked before, but it just slipped my mind lol. ive never seen single sided ddr though, i guess the double part made me think it had to have chips on both sides.

yes i know how ddr works, i just forgot about it...long time since i read about it....and like i explained above ddr just means to me that it has chips on both sides..

its weird that that mushkin pc3500 level 2 is single sided, because i have the same ram and its double sided...lol wish it didnt have the heatspreaders on so we could tell easier.

You can't look through the bottom like this picture?

side.jpg

yeah i looked at it but its hard to tell, its not a complete "eagle-eye" shot....you cant see the other side completly....im sure it is single sided, i just havnt seen these and i guess im reluctant to believe it.

My mobo only supports DDR and in the manual it has specific ways to use single sided DIMM's and dual sidded DIMM's. Right now i have one stick of 256 MB single sided crucial DDR PC2100. So they do make single sided DDR memory.

Ryan

see the picture above

Ryan T said:
My mobo only supports DDR and in the manual it has specific ways to use single sided DIMM's and dual sidded DIMM's. Right now i have one stick of 256 MB single sided crucial DDR PC2100. So they do make single sided DDR memory.

Ryan

Yes

Back