• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geil "Golden Dragon Series"?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Geil Value Series is the exact same stuff and it is awesome. Mine can hit 460mhz stable.. $43 is damn good for 256mb pc3200 sticks

fldrice said:
save your money...don't waste it on golden dragron.

Care to expand on that thought? My 1GB of GeIL Value Golden Dragon runs flawlessly... yeah, sure, it's not runing at 2-2-2-6, but so what? Believe me... I don't notice.

Running 2 512MB sticks of GD3500 on a P4 2.4C at 454MHz stable. Had to loosen timings a bit but I did a quick compare and didn't really notice a significant hit. Motherboard (IC7-G) only feeds 2.8VDIMM so I don't know if I can go higher or not. I can always test it on a DFI Ultra Infinity.

I have seen pretty much all Geil sticks considered hit or miss, the Dragons are no exception. My stick of PC2700 Value Geil hits 210 @~2.8v, but I've had other sticks that barely performed at stock.

I think the point here is you don't get what you bought with these crap Gold Dragons. In my case I have a pair of PC3500 rated as 2-3-3-6 and they don't pass on Memtest86 even at 200MHz!!! I could fix it at 2.5-4-4-7 but this is not even closer of what I've payed for.

Don't be ripped off stay away from GEIL!!!!

Don't be ripped off stay away from GEIL!!!!

I don't think getting 1 or 2 sticks of bad ram constitutes being "ripped off". My Geil Ultra pc3200 does 2-2-2-11 up to 210 mhz. That was such a ripoff for $190 for a gig. Like JoT said, Geil is just hit or miss. So you happened to get 2 bad sticks. I doubt Mushkin, Corsair or Kingston can say they've never sold bad sticks of ram. Geil's ram is GOOD for the price.

Geil isn't bad RAM but its not good either. When it works properly it works and overclocks really well. The problem is you never know if you will get the good or the bad. Most people that complain about Geil haven't even used any but read the bad complaints.

If you do end up buying it do it somewhere that has a good return policy just in case.

Back