• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Komusa PC4000/4200 and Abit NF7-S V2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kondlao

Hello all, I'm pretty new at this but I've been reading this forume for a long time now.

I have an Abit NF7-S V2.0 with 1700DLT3C JIUHB 0319. I am currently using Samsung PC2100 (2x256) and is running at 2.2Ghz.
My timming on the ram is 2.5, 2, 2, 5. My multi is 12.0@183Mhz.
Would I benifit if I upgrade my ram to PC4000 or PC4200 (Kumusa Hyperam). I have burn-in with @home and prime95 for 24hr each and both are solid. Current settings are: cpu = 1.6v, RAM at 2.8v.

My questions are.
1. Can I use these type of ram with my NF7-S
2. If so how much performance can I gain
3. Go with OZC or Corsair PC2700 / PC3200
4. Just be happy with what I got!!

Thanks in advance.:cool:

Yes you could use that type of RAM no problem but you will never use it to its full potential. Actually since it is an AMD setup you would take a performance hit because the timings are so lose on RAM these days. The timings of that Samsung while amazing for the ram are almost perfect for for your AMD. The only type of RAM that would really benefit you imo is some BH-5 since it will keep tight timings at high fsb speeds. I'd look for some of that or just keep what you have.

The ADATA PC4200 sticks are meant for people with FSB's in excess of 266mhz... I think I can count on ONE hand the total number of non-64bit AMD's with FSB's higher than 250 -- and I think they're all using the latest DFI board.

If you were using the A64 and overclocking the HT bus to 300mhz, then this is the ram you want to use :p

What if I upgrade to AMD 3000/3200+ with a 400 FSB.
I use my pc for a lot of video rendering and some game. I would like to have my video render faster then it is now.
Should I ditch what I got and build a P4 system?

Thanks again.

The AMD 400FSB runs the ram dual channel at 200 if I recall correctly, so you're still well under what this memory is capable of doing.

For video rendering, just buy some standard PC3200 and get a MUCH better processor. You will get singificant gains out of a faster processor than you will from faster memory on that old 1700+ Tbred. An A64 at stock speed would probably stomp a mudhole in your current rig...

Mushkin has new "222 special" 3200 that is rated for 2-2-2-6 which would most likely work very well with your system, given that it is bh6.

You would probably notice a pretty big increase from ram/fsb at 183 to over 200...with that setup i would expect at least 210...

games usually run better on the a64 line, but compressing and video rendering has always been the domain of the pentium.

Back