• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Visual compare?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

I dont know it this is actully a reliable means to decern the differences of this memory, not without removing the factory installed heat disipator, but here goes.

I have two sticks of OCZ pc3200EL Platinum and on the outside, they look absolutly identical.. as they should. However, while trying to remove the heat spreaders, i noticed somthing interesting... they arent matched at all!

they run fine in dual channel mode, but i have had issues getting this ram to handle more than 205 mhz in at timings. So, i have been trying to figure out if i have the bad promo chips or ch5, and im curious, is there any way to tell via the pcb layout?

both of these sticks seem to use a different PCB. one has single sided chips where the other is double sided. before i chuck in the double sided one to test for max fsb, i want to check here, to see if there is a difference in the chips used on the single and double sided versions of this memory. Its highly possible i got a stick of promo, and a stick of ch5 at the same time. but curiously, would they not function in dual channel as a result?

Im going to test both sticks to see their overclocking results. but any input would rule.

Back