• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair TwinX 3200 1gig memory Oc'ed too much???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mobius1

I am currenty in the process of OC'ing my system. And I am having some stability issues my fsb is at 220 which means memory is at 440mhz. Is that too much of an overclock for the memory?? The settings are set to Optimized in the BIOS and voltage is at 2.8. I try running Prime 95 and it quits in about 1 minute. 3dmark2001 runs ok though. Should I change the fsb: dram ratio so that it is less?? I heard that Athlons run best when the fsb and dram is in sync. Will I have stability issues if I do that? Please don't tell me that this is the highest I can go. I am only at 2340mhz :(

Thanks

Download Memtest86.. it runs from a floppy which will test your ram for stability.. also there are different versions of xms ram.. If you just got them they are prolly ver1.2 which arent as good OC'rs as the older ver1.1 .. But test with memtest before you boot into windows.. this way you dont corrupt your system from the memory not being stable..

Keep the ratio in sync.. your right much better that why.. and the 2.8vdimm is ok.. but this will depend on which version your ram is.. ( version is on the sticker on your ram )

Thunda

edit.. what memory timings have you tried ??? try to loosen them a little..

Yeah they are version 1.2. I tried runnig memtest and it totally locks up. Every once in a while Windows will lock up too. Everytime I try settings other than "Optimized" and "By SPD" in the BIOS, windows won't even boot. What custon settigns should I set my memory?

CAS Latency (tCL) : 3 clocks
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 4 clocks
RAS Precharge (tRP) :3 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 7 clocks

Those are my memory timings as set on optimized

I changed my timings to 2.5 3 3 11. Ran memtest and almost 10 hrs later it was done. no errors. The problem wasn't with my memory, my processor voltage was too low and it would fluxiate too much and everything would lock up. Time to crank it up a little more to get some better oc's out!!

Back