• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fresh installed windows is Damaged?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceWilly

Heres my problem. Its a little long but i really need some advice. This girl at my college downloaded some viruses and badly messed up here computer. I was helping her out and wiped the HDD clean and proceeded to reinstall windows Xp home. Right after i installed it, it was running really slow... I rebooted from the windows xp disc and it said that the install was damaged. How can this be after i just installed it.

I tried reinstalling a couple more times with my windows xp cd and another copy of windows xp pro that i have. I still got the damaged install message. THEN i was reinstalling it again and got some error mid install saying it was missing a file or something. And that it might be a problem with the cd. I just used these cds to reinstall windows on my own computer last week so thats not the problem.

What could be going wrong? I am at a loss. The only solution i can think of is that the harddrive is corrupted or bad now, and that i would have this girl replace it. But again i don't want to tell her to buy a new harddrive and run into the same problem again. Plz give me some advice asap so i can get her up and running soon. Thanks alot.

Ice

I had this problem with my Aunts computer, her Win98 CD would not work, I tried my Win95 CD and even Lindows4.5 it turned out to be the DVDrom was not picking up everything, causing the installs to be currupt OR not even finnish

I swapped out the drive and it worked flawlessly

Back