• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't delete this file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

I downloaded and extracted msdos 6.22 somthing from M$ on my desktop. I later realized it wasn't what I wanted. I deleted the files but one wouldn't go away. It is called "1MSDOS62" I have tryed the recovery console but when I try to cd into "Documents and Settings" it says access denied (remember its on my desktop) I have tryed deleteing it from linux but its in read only mode and I have no idea how to change it being the linux noob that I am.

It always says that its being used by another person or program. I also tryed safe mode but with no avail. My dos boot disk dosn't seem to want to play with ntfs either. What do I do?

go to start then run type in Msconfig then go to start up and look for a similar name to that and uncheck it also check it if its running in your processes in your task manager ctrl + alt + delete

I would bet this is your answer:

One of your running processes or services are utilizing the file you are trying to delete. Simply boot into safemode and delete the file.

Ok so its locked by explorer. Somehow killing explorer dosn't sound like the best option...?

I already booted in safe mode. I tryed recovery console but I can't seem to get into "Documents and Settings" Whats wrong there? I tryed dos but it dosn't see my ntfs drive I think...is there a progy for dos to see it?

Sorry, missed that in your first post. This program came without an uninstaller and it can't even be deleted in safe mode because explorer is tied to it?

Don't worry about shutting down explorer. Press windows+r and type cmd and hit enter. Go to task manager and end task on explorer. Navigate to the appropriate folder within the command prompt and attempt to delete or move the file. The command prompt will stay open when explorer disappears.

Last edited:
Ah that worked thx imog. I never knew that windows would work without explorer. Learn somthing new everyday.

It was also strange I thought that I actually didn't do anything to the file other than unzip an archive and it was simply placed on my desktop. It was from M$ for cry'n out loud. Oh well it must be one of thoughs Microsoft "features" :D

I tried it myself before I told you to... I didn't know either, but I had a suspicion... When you have an explorer crash you lose your tray icons but you can usually still find the processes that go with them in task manager.

Yeah, there are lots of programs out there with great "features". This sounds like it was one of them.

Glad that helped.

Back