• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my Mushkin 222 3200 not up to par?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zbose

Registered
I got my 2x512MB sticks of the 222 3200 DDR yesterday and threw them into my machine (Asus A7N8X Deluxe). I was suprised to find that if I ran the timings at the recommended 2-2-2-6 and the default 2.6 volts, my system was unstable. I then upped the voltage to 2.7, and still was not able to pass even a minute of Prime95. So I upped to the max of my board, 2.8v, and now the system appears to be rock solid at 2-2-2-5.

I have one small problem with that, Mushkin says their lifetime warranty is void if you run the ram higher than 2.75 volts. So by running at 2.8v, technically I won't be able to warranty it. Is my ram sub-par? Should I return it for new pieces? Or is it expected that I would need to up my voltage to get it to run stable?

Also, does this mean I have ram that is very likely to be a poor overclocker once I start cranking up the fsb?

Thanks,
-zb

Try the memory in different slots and try them individually. If you are still getting problems then call 800-569-1868 and talk to one of our tech guys.

Duonger

Duonger said:
Try the memory in different slots and try them individually. If you are still getting problems then call 800-569-1868 and talk to one of our tech guys.

Duonger

I can try them individually, but different slots won't really work because I need to run them where they are to have dual channel working. I will see how they do individually then give a call I suppose.

Thanks,
-zb

Well, test them in different slots to make sure it's not the mobo that could be causing you problems. That way you make absolutely sure the RAM is what's the problem.

Just to follow up:

Last night I switched the ram around in every configuration (two sticks in each possible slot, then one stick in each slot). I found that in no configuration would the ram run perfectly stable until i upped the voltage to 2.8. One stick ran MORE stable than the other at 2.7 and 2.6, but it still errored out in prime95 after 20 minutes or so. The lesser stick couldn't even boot to windows until I put 2.8v across it.

So I called tech support today and relayed my issue to them. They told me that 2.8 is in fact still covered by their lifetime warranty, and that had I not already been doing 2.8v, they would have instructed me to.

So I don't know if it will ever overclock well/at all, but at least I am getting my 2-2-2-5 now!

Thanks for the reponses.

-zbose

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!
if its the mushkin 222 special using bh6 then ur not gonna get blazing speed at 2.8v. the bh6 needs to be fed plenty of juice to run 230-240

flapperhead said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!!!!!
if its the mushkin 222 special using bh6 then ur not gonna get blazing speed at 2.8v. the bh6 needs to be fed plenty of juice to run 230-240

THANKS!

I have been lurking for awhile. Love the information here.

ATM, i don't aspire to a HUGE overclock. I am not gutsy enough to go for the volt mod yet. I think tonight I will see if the ram can deal with small FSB increases @ 2.8v. Besides, I have been told my motherboard is a crappy overclocker!

-zbose

Back