• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so, what memory to get now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ares350

in what I will now call the post- BH6 era, what memory is good?

I think most will agree the BH6 was good, BH5 was even better, but none is worth the 315$ newegg is now charging, with BH5 commanding even higher prices on ebay.

so what takes its place now in the PC3200 ddr, 2x512 arena with price tags in the low to mid 200's as the mushkin was 2 days ago.

what was second best?

Anything that can hold a tRP or 2 with a tRCD set to 3 above 200MHz (DDR400). Winbond CH-5 can do this in many occasions, as can Mosul/ProMOS -5B chips. Hynix yields are improving, yet I havn't seen many that can hold a tRP at 2 above 200MHz (though they can do 2-3-3). Some Samsung or Micron chips may be able to hold 2.5-2-3 timings stable enough.

This is for AMD and low latency Intel.

For high bandwidth, it's still at Hynix and A-DATA.

Watch for memory advertising tRCD set to 3 slowly climb up the clock-speed ladder. With handpicked Hynix and Mosul/ProMOS chips we have now DDR466 that is more then capable of clocking past DDR533 (w/ tRCD still set to 3) in the right system.

DDR600 with 3-3-3 timings is as much of a milestone as DDR400 with 2-2-2 timings ever was, and it is something to look forward to.

Last edited:
you lost me heh

Im looking around at newegg in the 200-250$ range, and I see geil golden dragon(2 6-3-3)
OCZ enhanced latency (2-3-2-6)
mushkin level 1(2-3-2)
corsair XMS (3-3-3-8)
OCZ enhanced latency platinum(2-3-2-5)

they are in order from cheapest to most expensive.

of those listed, which is the CH-6? any?

which should be ignored, and which should be bought?

Many of the latest OCZ "low-latency" memory use ProMOS/Mosul -5B chips. It is good for those wanting 2-3-2 timings (CL-tRCD-tRP).

The ablity to hold stable with memory timings low and clock high were what made Winbond BH-5/6 chips what they are known for today. No other memory has been proving capable to yielding as well as Winbond BH-5/6 chips did with 2-2-2 timings (CL-tRCD-tRP). Therefore, the next logical step is to lapse the most stressful timing, which is a RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD), from 2 to 3, and get 2-3-2 timings (CL-tRCD-tRP) in the process.

Last edited:
for the sake of cost, any thoughts on grabbing the 2 sticks of crucial pc3200 that is up on slickdeals for 70$ from bestbuy? I plan to order 2 sticks of course, so a gig of 3200 for 140$ seems good even if it isnt the best ram :(

is it decent atleast?

says the cas timing is 3, doesnt specify the rest.

Back