• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just wait, the new king is coming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
BH-5 is dead and gone, you cannot obtain any unless you pay a huge premium or luck out. BH-6 is also getting harder to obtain.

The kings of RAM overclocking are going, fast. What do those of us clutching the hope of amazing FSB do about it without paying a huge premium? We wait.

Everyone remembers the 1600 Palomino Athlons, those were the best overclocking processors for a while. Then came the amazing 1700+ DLT3C TBredB's, many people still run these great chips. Now the newest king of AMD overclocking is here, the Mobile XP Bartons. These new chips blow away all previous overclocks, many of them near-effortlessly.

Now what is the point I'm trying to make? BH-5 is not the end-all be-all of RAM overclocking, new stuff will show up eventually. If we just wait long enough, someone will discover the new king, and the second renaissance of FSB will arrive quickly thereafter.

It's inevitable that something better will come out, technology is constantly improving, fab processes are constantly becoming more efficient, RAM is getting faster.

</rant>

Thank you :)

Rant nonwithstanding, the days of high FSB and very tight timings are dwindling and aren't making any signs of coming back. People are wanting high speed (I say that as a general term) and companies are responding: high MHZ, but loose timings.

Until the industry and the populace as a whole start demanding tight timings, we aren't going to have companies catering to those whims. There's actually an absolute TON of BH5 and BH6 out there, the problem is that 95% of it is being used as PC2700 and probably isn't even working that hard. Joe Dork User is sitting in his living room with his Celeron4 1.6ghz and his single stick of 256mb BH5 and will never know what he has.

Only about 2% of the entire computer-owning segment knows what BH5 and BH6 is, and probably less than a third of those people actually go looking for it. So that 2/3rds of 1% of the computer owning populace does not have enough pull in the industry to start demanding tight timings... The other 99.3% are demanding high speed, which can be delivered cheaply and effectively with loose timings.

The days are gone, the king is dead, long live the king of FSB now.

Well I guess I lucked out gettin Corsair Bh-5's.........I'll take full advantage & enjoy them while they are still decent. I also have some Bh-6's. Mushkin PC3200 Special 222.

SO MUAW! For once I don't get the short side of the stick but the long side & two of them at that!

And for people that are computer illiterate killing the overclocking wants & or needs.........

:santa: Psycho santa will visit you this christmas & bring lots of knives!

The question now is whether we will see anything close to BH-5 or BH-6 performance out of another DDR module... or will the tight-timing renaissance begin once more on DDR2?

DDR2 is the antithesis of tight timings -- DDR2 brings you timings of CAS 4 and higher, RAS-to-CAS delays of 5 and higher, etc. If you're expecting tight timings in DDR2, you will be sorely let down.

The question now is whether we will see anything close to BH-5 or BH-6 performance out of another DDR module... or will the tight-timing renaissance begin once more on DDR2?

No, not for a long time. Intel sets the industry standard :rolleyes: . Intel dosnt want LL RAM. They just want fast stuff to sell systems.

The BH era will be forever dead.....glad I got mine :bday:

hey lets put up a website recall for all the joe dorks running 2700 bh5, offering to replace that crummy defective bh5 with brand new pc3200 kingston valuram that we got for 50.00 bux a stick with a rebate.

LOL @ Flapperhead... If that seriously would work, I'd put up the $100/mo for webspace! So long as I get a cut of the profits from selling all the sticks to uber-geeks like myself ;)

my brother is a distributor.maybe i can use his company to forge a relationship with some of the big memory distributors and go digging thru their stocks and hand pick some memory for the guys in this forum. there is still some bh5/6 floating around. wouldnt it be nice just to pay what it really costs for this stuff.. If their is alot of interest maybe ill pursue it...

well, ur right. bh5/6 is great ram no doubt , but as the fsb and memory speeds get faster there will be something out there that will take its place.. right now seems like the adata stuff is hard to beat for price and hi speed performance.

the problem is, ram was the one place where EVERYONE agreed.

you ask about vid cards youll get 5 reccomendations, processors, mobo, PSU, everything. no one agrees, you have loyalty to something, personal experience, whatever.

but ram... ah, it was the only thing on my wishlist that everyone said the same thing. and now its gone.

Im just as annoyed that I cant find the BH-X that I wanted, as I cant find a suitable replacement. Im dangerously close to saying F*ck it and getting whatever cheap 3200 ram I can find, the corsair on slickdealz is looking real good. if I cant have the best, may as well have the cheapest.

No, a sign on the end of a stick would pop up saying, haha, should have payed $400 for some Bh-5's or got a hold of them while they were around sucker.

:bang head

yeah thats what im hearing over at extreme. i think im goona get a later binned stik over at palmtree pc, hit it with some volts and see for myself. if it actually runs like those maniacs say it does, then then those companies charging an arm and a leg for the bh5/6 can keep it. in fact i think ill post a thread with the link, cause i hate seeing some of the younger guys spending 350.00-400.00 bux when alot of times they dont have to...

Back