• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KHX3000 erroneous SPD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow, very informativte guys.

Chances are its overclocked PC2700. The SPD chip will read its defautl speeds, but Kingston may have speed binned it into PC3000 becuase it can run the higher speeds at rated voltages.

If it does what its rated to do, then you did not get 'ripped off".

What speeds does it do?

The only way to know what you got is to know what chips you got. And if it's remarked, then the only way to know would be for Kingston to tell you what chips you got.

{PMS}fishy said:
Wow, very informativte guys.

Chances are its overclocked PC2700. The SPD chip will read its defautl speeds, but Kingston may have speed binned it into PC3000 becuase it can run the higher speeds at rated voltages.

If it does what its rated to do, then you did not get 'ripped off".

What speeds does it do?

According to the seller it's a BH-5 based dimm. I don't think there was ever a BH-5 based PC2700.

It can do 222Mhz at 2-3-2-6 at 2.8v.

If you can do those speeds there is nothing to worry about.

Some of the Value 2700 had BH5. So you know.

{PMS}fishy said:
If you can do those speeds there is nothing to worry about.

Some of the Value 2700 had BH5. So you know.

I'm worried that my PC3000 can be CH-5 and not BH-5. Can a PC3000 CH-5 hit 2-3-2-6 at 222MHz?

Pull the heatspreads off, and write down the info on the chips.

Ill check into it for you.

Did you pay for BH5? Or is that what you were hoping to get?

im not even sure if ANYONE ever really manafactured a true pc3000 ddrchip. didnt everything just go from 6ns to 5ns? was there a inbetween chip? its all just playing with the clockspeeds i thought.

bchur83 said:
Will it run at 2-2-2-6 @ 200mhz. That will better show that it is actually BH-5 rather than CH-5 (I think?).

It loops flawlessly overnight with MemTest86+ at 220Mhz with 2-2-2-5 AND PAT enabled (setting of F1 in my IS7-E board). However, I can't even run Windows stabely at 200Mhz with 2-2-2-6...

Strange, Well I guess that if it will do 220mhz @ 2-2-2-6 then it must be BH-5, cuz I dont think that there is any other ram that can do that except maybe BH-6.

bchur83 said:
Strange, Well I guess that if it will do 220mhz @ 2-2-2-6 then it must be BH-5, cuz I dont think that there is any other ram that can do that except maybe BH-6.

Well I tried it again with MemTest at 220Mhz 2-2-2-5 and F1 and MemTest stuck. I guess last time I ran it at single channel and not dual like now, and that's why. Anyway, it disturbs me that I can't manage to run Windows with 2-2-2-5 at 200Mhz. I mean, although MemTest loops well at that setting, it's not really the environment I'll be using with my computer...

The_Jizzler said:
im not even sure if ANYONE ever really manafactured a true pc3000 ddrchip. didnt everything just go from 6ns to 5ns? was there a inbetween chip? its all just playing with the clockspeeds i thought.

According to Kingston's spec, the PC3000 is 5.4ns.

I got a reply from Kingston. From them it seems like the board is actually overriding the SPD. Sounds suspicious to me. Here is the full reply:

the die of the WINBOND chipset depends on the availability and are not specificaly matched to any particular batch of HyperX modules we ship out.

Due to the different configuration and components on the motherboard, even if it's the same model, the BIOS in your case simply uses the settings which it was designed and which doesn't create any stability problems. As HyperX modules exceed the standard specifications current motherboards are released with we do not list these modules as compatible with current motherboards. The listed timings and memory speeds for the HyperX module might not be possible in every system and configuration.

We also recommend upgrading the BIOS to the latest revision on the motherboard/system should you experience problems. Please contact Abit for further help on memory compatibility and how to update your BIOS and configure it to run the memory at the desired speed with specific timings.

Last edited:
Back