• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help picking appropriately rated mem for game server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stultus

I have an Abit IS7-E I was able to get really cheaply on the way to build a gaming server with. Based on current prices, I'm going to pair this with a 2.8c. Now, the grail is to get to 3.5 (stock cooling) if possible, but I'll be happy with 3.3 or so.

However, I'm doing the math and I see to get to 3.5 with mem/FSB in-sync, I need to be running 250FSB (PC4000). This is a little pricey for me, given that I want to start with a gig of ram. However, if I run the 4/5 divider, I can use normal (cheaper) PC3200.

If this is right, then aren't most people overclocking P4s facing a similar decision? Why is everybody buying this super-rated ram when you can just run out of sync? It seems like you're paying a premium in advance of your overclocking that may or may not be necessary with the chip you're working with. Or do people not have this memory divier available to them?

Anyhow, in trying to stick around $200 for a gig of ram, I can either get a couple of KingMax PC3500s which, as people say about PC3500 stuff, will run high FSB at loose timings but not tight timings at lower (sub-200MHz) speeds. Alternatively, I can get some name brand fancy-heat spreader PC3200, run at 200-to-slightly-less FSBs and have tighter timings. Otherwise, I'm looking at spending an extra $40-50 to get PC3700/PC4000 that I can run in sync.

Anyone have any advice for me?

see if u can pick up some kingston valuram with bt-d43 chips. its the same chips used in almost all pc4000. it real common, i would think u could get a couple 512 sticks on sale/rebate for 70.00-80.00 a stick..

Back