• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geil Golden Dragon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IrelandMadMan

How ya doin there?

Im gonna be buying some pc3200 Golden dragon soon so i have a question or 2.
First of all is it good?
And also is there much need for 1gb rather than 2x256mb's ? Its only for gaming really.

Its gonna be running in a nf2 board, probably an abit.
Also would there be any point in goin up to say pc3500?

Thanks for your help

How ya doin there? Good. Very good. How about you?

Im gonna be buying some pc3200 Golden dragon soon so i have a question or 2.
First of all is it good?
I have not heard much about Geil, but I have not heard anything bad about it either. Honestly I really dont know. Sorry.
And also is there much need for 1gb rather than 2x256mb's ? Its only for gaming really. Well, 512mb is probably getting close to the minimum right now. If you want this to be your gaming rig for a while I would get 1gb, it really depends on how much you can afford. At the time when I got my ram 256mb was the equivilent of having 512 now, and it is starting to get pretty outdated, most of the latest games require a minimum of what I have and I beleive recomend 512. If you got 512, it would probably last a year before you needed a gig.

Its gonna be running in a nf2 board, probably an abit.
Also would there be any point in goin up to say pc3500?
It depends, I personally would rather get 1GB PC3200 vs. 512 PC3500. It really depends if you are going to be overclocking a locked CPU. If you get one of those Mobile Bartons with unlocked multipliers, I would not worry about it too much.

I have super super cheap PNY PC2100 256mb and I actually get it up to 180Mhz from the stock 133Mhz going from 2.5Vdimm to 2.9. Im sure with some really good PC3200 you could get at least 220 Mhz out of it.

Good Luck!
-0cer
:cool:

Thanks for your help no problem. I love to try to help people

The Golden Dragon is good stuff, as long as you have realistic expectations. You're probably not going to get away with pushing it to 2-2-2-6... mine likes 2.5-3-3-11. If you can live with that, it'll be fine.

I agree too, with the opinion that you should get 1GB (2x512). I play Age of Mythology - The Titans on a regular basis, and that frickin' game will swap like a banshee with just 512MB RAM. Now that I have a gig, I haven't seen a noticeable swap once. I don't know what games you play, but I'm sure that AoMTT is not alone in being memory hungry in the game category. ;)

These Geils Golden Dragon sucks.

Just try to run Memtest85 and they will fail badly on test #5. Get an answer from Geil's support and they recommend to loose the timings...

So what is the point? You pay for a 2-3-3-6 and end up with a 2.5-4-4-7?????

A Mushkin replacement is on its way. GEILs never more!!!

I have geil gd 2x512 pc3500 sticks running 2.5-3-3-8 @ 225mhz. They do okay but my Mushkin 222 Special blows them away easily.

Back