• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creating a new user in Windows 2000 Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Just1nCase

Hey,

How is everybody doing? Great? I sure hope so. Anyways, I have a question. I made a new user [Group: Guest] in Windows 2000 Professional, but whenever starts to log on, it won't load the desktop. Instead, it just shows the wallpaper. However, when I change the Group to administration, it loads it up.

How can I be able to let the user with the ability of a guest user to have access to the desktop? One of the reasons that I making a new user is because I don't want my brother to use the burner program to burn cds.

Please let me know if you have any idea to fix this problem. Thanks!

~Justin

Couple things you can do.

Just drag the program folder (c:\documents and settings\all users) for the burning program and any other program you want from the "All users" folder to some other account.... or leave it were it is and just change the folder permissions for the program folder(s) in question to allow admins only and create the new account as a standard user.

I just have a quick second, if this doesn't fix it, let us know and I'll reply more indepth when I get the chance.

People in the "guest" group have the same rights as the "user" group, so go ahead and try to put him there and see if that works.
You still need to check the permissions on your burning software, because many programs will have their permissions set to everyone. If this is the case, find the program folder and change the permissions to administrators.

***Important note, make sure you add the administrator group to the folder permissions Before you delete the everyone group. Otherwise you just locked yourself out of it.

The same error occurs when I changed the burner folder permissions and changing the group of the user to be Standard User. But when I was changing the group to be Guest, I get a Logon Message:

"The policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

Any other ideas?

Do you have to logon to a domain (server)? That error message is caused by a local security policy. Start-control panel-admin tools-local security policy. Expand local policies, and security options.

Interactive logon is primarily server.....dont remember seeing that option on 2kpro.

If you are using server, the placement is the same except look for domain local policies, there you can change the logon interactively permission

The_Last_Don said:
Do you have to logon to a domain (server)? That error message is caused by a local security policy. Start-control panel-admin tools-local security policy. Expand local policies, and security options.

Interactive logon is primarily server.....dont remember seeing that option on 2kpro.

If you are using server, the placement is the same except look for domain local policies, there you can change the logon interactively permission

To be honest to you, I have no idea what you're talking about. How do I check if I have a logon to a domain (server)? Well, this computer I'm using right now is networked with some other computer and have a logon for it to access the only shared files. Is that what you're talking?

How do I change the logon interactively permission?

Thanks again!

~Justin

Back