• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fat Kid

Question for you guys, will start with the scenario:

What I am running:

Barton 2600 (desktop)
MSI K7N2 Delta-L
2x 512 sticks of Corsair mem
Win XP (Home)

Anyhow, been trying to hit 200 fsb since I got the processor (week ago) and have had zero luck. Tonight after making some adjustments, tried to boot up (fsb 200, vcore 1.8) and I get the following message:

Can't start windows the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

Comp restarted, at that time I went into BIOS dropped FSB down to 192 along with vcore and then it booted fine.

Looked for info on the error message, and about all I could find was on MS site, and it said this is an error that occurs when converting from FAT32. Sounds like a resonable explaination to me... except this is a week old install of XP Home.

Anyone have any ideas on what would/ could be causing this at 200 fsb and not other settings? Any help would be appreciated.

I will give my two cents worth...may not be correct but here goes. When you had the FSB up there, the speed was too high so it misread the file and reported it as corrupt. Chances are it was due to the memory running at a high FSB. Since you don't have error checking mem, it can happen when the bus speed get outside of limits.

I had a similar problem, different file though, and once I lower FSB...it never came back.

Just my thoughts.

Fat Kid said:
Question for you guys, will start with the scenario:

What I am running:

Barton 2600 (desktop)
MSI K7N2 Delta-L
2x 512 sticks of Corsair mem
Win XP (Home)

Anyhow, been trying to hit 200 fsb since I got the processor (week ago) and have had zero luck. Tonight after making some adjustments, tried to boot up (fsb 200, vcore 1.8) and I get the following message:

Can't start windows the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

i am not familiar with your mobo, but i was just curious if it has pci/agp locks and are yours running @ 33/66 MHz?

66 on AGP for certain (checked that last night)

PCI I will have to take a look at when I get home, but I also believe 66.

Thanks for the input any ideas are always welcome.

What type of hard drive do you have. It's possible that your hard drive interface will not work correctly at that high of a bus speed. This applies mostly to the MB, but a slower or older hard drive could affect it also. Is it an ata 133 or sata? If its only an ata33 that might be your problem. just my 2 cents.

Back