• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Update Catalog, NEED HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

Windows Update Catalog, need help

Hello. I am using Windows XP and I want to update a Windows XP install that has yet to be installed, that has a modem to connect to the internet. Apparently, this can be a bad thing...

However, the XP install has SP 1 slipstreamed on the disk, which is nice. Also, I learned that if you go into preferences in Windows Update you can turn on something called the Windows Update Catalog. This system allows you to download Windows Updates for a computer not on the internet. So, I did that...

The updates installed in a somewhat messy directory structure and at the head of the directory structure is an XML file...

What I am wondering is if there is a nice way to install these updates on a new computer. Do I have to run 60 odd updates one by one, hoping I don't run them in the wrong order? Is there a "Windows Update" which allows the files to be ran off of the hard drive? Has anybody delt with the Windows Update Catalog at all? Any help would be really appreciated!

If SP1 is installed, you really don't need the whole group of updates. There are actually only about 10-12 that are necessary(1 of which encompasses a number of updates together). I usually load them chronologically, oldest to newest. Your best way to determine which you need is to visit WindowsUpdate, and let it select the ones you will need.

You can also get a CD for free from Microsoft with all the updates on it. I got one just in case I needed it if my DSL was to ever go down.

Dubbin1 said:
You can also get a CD for free from Microsoft with all the updates on it. I got one just in case I needed it if my DSL was to ever go down.

Tell me more information about this CD, as in how the updates install, where to get it, if you have to pay shipping, how long it takes to come, and alike.

Would be nice if Microsoft just posted an ISO of that CD, if it is a really good one...

Back