• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bittorrent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wired14 said:
is it just me or is that thing super fast?
it is downloading a linux distro 700mb very fast !

I hope thats freeware, if not you are going to be in a bit of trouble pretty soon. Bit Torrent can be fast or it can be very slow, depends upon the people you are getting the files from.

Matt

Hmmm... What I don't get is why you use a fileshare prg. to download a linux distro. Most distros are free to download from various sites around the world. And the ones you can't download are NOT free.
Regarding your claim for speed. When I dl the latest mandrake distro I get 99% speed from one of mandrakes mirrors(ftp).

Maybe not free as in beer because people who work tyo put a distro together kind of enjoy being paid for their labor, but the source is always free if requested. Still almost all of them are free to download and install as much as you want unlike M$. It's the optional books and tech support that cost a little.

{PMS}fishy said:
Not all Distros are free.

Thats what I thought. I know basically nothing about Linux, but I was under the impression not all of them were free. Thanks for backing me up.

I was just saying that I hope its free because absolutely no warez/piracy is allowed here.

Matt

yeah, many distros (free ones) use bitTorrent so they dont bog down servers. i unfortunately cant use it due to university restrictions :(

There are a few that aren't free per se. I believe to actually get CDs w/ Gentoo on them you have to pay up (for x86-32, anyways. I know you can get IA or Sparc for free).

Bittorrent is a great resource. The only real problem w/ it is that it lacks a centralized search feature, due to the serverless nature of it.

And bittorrent is not serverless. You cannot upload a file without a server functioning as a tracker. You can continue to download a file from users you've connected to if the tracker goes down, but you won't be able to connect to new users if you can't connect to the tracker because your bittorrent client can't see them unless the tracker tells it that they're there.

I wish SuSE was free. It looks damn good.

Last edited:
Alacritan said:
Try (his link)

It searches most torrent trackers. It doesn't always report the # of seeds/leechers correctly, but its pretty good anyway.

And bittorrent is not serverless. You cannot upload a file without a server functioning as a tracker. You can continue to download a file from users you've connected to if the tracker goes down, but you won't be able to connect to new users if you can't connect to the tracker because your bittorrent client can't see them unless the tracker tells it that they're there.

I wish SuSE was free. It looks damn good.

That link has warez in it, no discussion of warez is permitted here. Please remove it. Thanks for your cooperation.

Matt

Isohunt isn't a warez site. It just searches all active bittorrent trackers. It's like saying Google is warez because you can find sites like gamecopyworld on it and things of that nature.

you can get a version of SUSE free here.

SUSE offers the possibility to install SUSE LINUX free of charge directly from the FTP server. The function scope of FTP versions is virtually the same as that of the "normal" version. Merely a few program packages have been excluded due to license reasons. The installation support is not included either.

ya cause gentoo is free... i downloaded it from their site... mandrake is also avalible in bittorent files

Back