• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very tight budget, what should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alnorth

Registered
motherboard will be a MSI 865PE Neo2-PLS, with a P4 2.4c

I do not want to spend much more than $150 for the memory.

Given that budget constraint, my basic options are to:

1) Get 512MB of higher-quality memory that is more likely to be overclockable.

2) Get 1GB of lower-quality memory which may or may not be overclockable at all.

I am leaning towards the first option, I believe having high quality 512MB memory that allows for overclocking is likely more valuable than 1GB of memory that forces the system to stay near stock, but lemme know if I am wrong!

Anyway, the Geil PC4000 caught my eye http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-313&depa=0

Would this be a good choice for attempting a moderate overclock up to about 3 GHz or so? I know that Geil requires a lot of voltage, but the particular motherboard that I chose is known for being able to have high voltages, so it should be able to handle that.

Can anyone think of a better option for 1) that allows a better chance to overclock at a similar price (~$150 max) or 2) Can find a 1GB memory solution for that same budget which offers a decent chance to overclock stable up to 3GHz?

Really, this stuff is good? It seems relatively cheap price wise. I guess some of their "HYPERRAM" may be going in my up-coming system!!

make SURE u get the pc4200 hyperram with the ADATA chips. i also was very skeptical when i first bought it because of the low price in comparison to the ocz/ corsair pc 4000/4400 pricewise.
but the numbers speak for themselves.. there is of course alot of very fine ram out there. however when u factor the price performance u just cant go wrong.. now crank that 865 badboy up and wow us with ur overclok......

Why does it have to be the pc4200? For AMD, isn't it better to do like pc3200 or pc3500 with tighter timings? And cheaper!

he isnt using an AXMP mobo.

and acctually a good set of AXP ram is usually the most expensive. A set of BH5 sticks is going for ~300$, and on ebay they are going for about 400$.

Back