• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp pro problems problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IrelandMadMan

How r yas?
Im tryin to fix a friends computer, when you power it up the option screen for safe mode and start windows normally and so on comes up, but no matter what i choose it still wont boot!!
If i choose for example start windows normally it will just freeze, same thing with safe mode.
Is there anything i can try to save me having to reinstall xp pro?

I reset cmos, but that didnt have any effect.

Thanks for your time

Have you checked the memory...run memtest 86...to rule out the memory...also this could be a CPU issue also...

If it is locking up in safe mode...this sounds more like a hardware issue then OS issue...better to rule out the hardware first ;)...

Agrred, its most likely a hardware issue. Along with testing the memory, DL the appropriate diagnostic hardware for the hard drive(s) and check them out. Try removing everything but what is absolutely necessary and try rebooting, too.

I checked the memory using some ram from my own machine but it didnt make a difference.
Could a virus have caused this?
On the boot screen it detects the hard-drive and all ok!

Maybe i should just try a fresh install of windows on it

you can do a repair install, it will re-install all system files, go through a mini setup but keep all programs and user data safe...

I would go for that...

yeah i tried that! A black screen comes up with the following ( now this is a bit of a guess) :)

its in dos like format and it asks you what you would like to restore ok? And windows is number one but i dont know how to choose it, ive tried hittin 1 on the keyboard , and 1 followed by enter and so on but it keeps bringin up the same line? I have no idea if that made sense :)
Im probably missin somethin simple ?

did you try to fdisk the master boot record.

fdisk /mbr. It will trash the mbr and xp will rebuild it on start up next time.

Also at the recovery menu you you can type fixboot.

fixboot is a menu command that you can type at the C:\Windows prompt in the windows recover program. It tries to repair issues that reside in the boot sector.

fdisk /mbr is a command to type at a dos prompt after loading through a bootable floppy with fdisk on it. it sets up partitions. Make sure you use the /mbr switch for this. Else you could lose all you other partitions if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

thanks for your help, if all else fails then i will do the fresh install.

c yas soon and cheers for yer time

Back